Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Hotpoint WMD960 and the door nwill not open at the

I have a Hotpoint WMD960 and the door nwill not open at the end of a cycle. The lock symbol has gone out and all the water has drained from the drum.
I have followed the instructions for manually unlocking the door using the unlocking tab located at the front of the machine and this has not helped.
The door catch itself appears to be loose and flaps about without ant positive feel to it.
Can you offer any advice?

Hi

Ok the door handle has broken thats why its loose and flopping about like that.

You need to get the door open to get at this. Have you tried pulling the tab at the bottom and pulling on the door at the same time?

If this still doesnt work then what you need to do us take off the top. Then from there look down the front on the right hand side.

There you will see the door lock. There will be the metal door pin pokeing through this.

Reach down and then try and push this pin to the left and at the same time pull on the door and it should come open.

Then you can take it off to replace the door handle.

Let me know how it goes or if you need anymore info.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cant see any metal pin on the door lock mechanism.

Hi

Ok if you reach down can you feel anything pokeing through the door lock?

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No

Hi

Ok and pulling the tab at the bottom isnt opening the door aswell?

Is this correct?

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes

Hi

Ok sounds like the door lock is faulty aswell and its broken the door handle as by pulling that tab it should open the lock.

Try giving the door handle a bang to see if this shocks the door into opening and pull the tab and see if this works.

If not then its a case of breaking the door lock off the machine. Reach down and grab hold of it and start to work it backwards and forwards and left to right to break it off the screws.

Then you will need to replace the door lock and the handle to get this back up and running.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have found the pin and pushed across. This has released the door. I just need to work out how to seperate the door to access the broken latch mecanism.

Hi

Ok you will see the screws holding the door onto the hinge.

Take them off.

Then undo all the screws around the inside of the door and then the outer rim will prise off from the inner door rim. You will need a thin flat blade screw driver for that part.

Then you will see the handle. Take a picture of the set up of the spring and the pin and becarefull when you swap it over so it goes back on the way it came off so make a note of how its secured on.

As its very hard to expline how the set up is so you need to make a note before you take the old 1 off.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have got the door apart but unfortunately did not take note of the spring mechanism. Now got a little puzzle on my hands to figure out how to put it back in place.

Hi

Ok thats the hard part now as there are no diagrames which shows you how it goes.

And trying to explane how it goes is very hard.

But hopefully you should beable to work it out.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I will give it my best shot. Thanks for your help. Have a good night.

Hi

Fingers crossed you will sort it. Any probs just get back to me.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think I have sussed it out. Thanks again for your help and advice.