Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My tumble dryer is making a grinding noise when it turns one

My tumble dryer is making a grinding noise when it turns one way only.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Can you post the make and model number please.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Candy CDC266
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Is it noisey when you turn it by hand?

What kind of noise is it?

Is it a scrapping noise?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is noisy when I manually turn it clockwise, it is quiet anti clockwise.
Yes i would describe it as a scrapping noise- when I turn it by hand it feels slightly as though the drum is rubbing on something.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

This could be a faulty bearing at the back which is causeing the fault.

Take the bulged part off at the back and take off the heater unit. There you will see the drum shaft pin sticking through the back.

Check this and see what you find.

Let me know what you find or if you need anymore info.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have removed the bulged part, and the silver ? heating unit. I can see the drum. I cant see any pin as such, but there is in middle im assuming is the pin with a piece of copper on it. Nothing is sticking out.
What am I looking for?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok if you open the door and push the drum at the back and see if you will move up and down at the back.

Let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
when i turn the drum the pin spins round withit. When I push the drum? nothing happens to the pin. It seems secure, nothing moves up or down.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok so the drum pin will be fine then.

So this may be either a faulty fan or a noisey motor.

But to find this out you will need to strip the dryer down from the front.

Then once its all striped down you can then check the motor and fan incase theres anything stuck in there.

But to get at it you need to take off the front control panel and then the front panel. Then there will be the front houseing unit which the drum runs round on.

Check this and if its fine then that will need to come off to get at the fan and motor.

But these hoovers are not the easyist to strip down and repair im afraid.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh dear.
Think I best leave it to an expert to sort out then! Out of interest, how much do you think it would cost labours, parts etc to repair in either scenario?
Thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok i would say if a fan then about £70 roughly.

If motor then say about £130. But i would think its unlikely to be a motor.

What you can try is look in the yellow pages for a free callout company as they will check it out and if not worth the repair or its expensive it wont cost you anything to find out.

Regards

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.