Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

I have an aqua stream 6th sense 9 kg washing machine that the

Customer Question

I have an aqua stream 6th sense 9 kg washing machine that the door will not open on with a complete load of washing inside. I have tried to start a new cycle a few times and it looks promising with the bubbles going along the display panel but not sound of water or it continuing. I have emptied the filter at the bottom of the machine no problems there and my husband has checked that the water is not blocked going into the machine and looks like no problem there. I have pushed the two buttons that put the child lock on and there removed it incase that would release it and of course turned the machine of for 12 hours and turned it back on again and no joy. There does not seem to be any error messages but is there a way of checking this? How can I release my washing??? Thank you Carol
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

When you try to open the door, does the door lock feel a bit loose?

If not, unplug the appliance and wait 5 minutes.

While the machine is unplugged, try opening the door.

If still stuck, give the front panel a few thumps (without denting it) alongside the handle.

See if this jars the bimetal strip loose.

Can you post the actual model number of the appliance please?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its a aquasteam 9769 the door has very small amount of movement. Tried the unplugging etc and gave it a few thumps but no joy.

cheers

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, if we try the broken door handle method first, it won't do any harm.

You'll need a length of garden tying wire (you can use string but it's harder to do).

Feed the wire into the gap around the door.

Work it in and round so you end up with the 2 ends opposite the door handle.

Pull the two ends sideways away from the door and pull the door open with your other hand.

If the door doesn't open it's not a broXXXXX XXXXXdle, it's going to be a failed door interlock.

The actual model number will be some letters and then some numbers, alternatively there will be a label on the rear with a 12 digit number beginning 85.

Prefix the number with A to prevent it being crossed out when posted.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried the door as you have suggested but to no avail. I will have to get help to move the washing machine to get to the back and get the numbers. thank you
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

As it hasn't opened on any of the previous attempts I'm afraid you'll most likely need to break into the appliance.

The method of doing this will depend on the actual model number.

Once I have the number I'll be able to help further.

While you are waiting on help, check where the filter is, see if there is a pull cord below the front panel for opening the door.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The numbers ive found are

service 859298115000

and this one S.Nr.410938886172

Ive checked near the filter but nothing to pull for door!!!

Cheers

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

I've now got the exploded view of the appliance which does help.

I see from the serial number that your machine was built in week 38 of 2009.

Is it only just out of warranty or is it still under warranty? (1 year warranty with Whirlpool).

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know it was delivered to me on 6th October 2009!!! What luck Cheers
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Just wanted to check before advising on this.

Unplug the appliance.

Take the top off.

Wedge the tub back and over to the left.

Reach down inside the front and find the door interlock.

Try to unlatch the door from inside (nigh on impossible but you never know your luck).

If you can't, begin working the lock side to side, back and forth to get the lock off of it's screws.

Don't just force it as this normally leaves it broken and the door still locked.

Once it comes off it's screws, lift it off of the door latch.

You will need a new door lock to repair the appliance.

The alternative to this is to protect the paintwork and use a lever to pry the door open.

You may damage the door, you will break the door latch so you would have extra parts to buy to repair the appliance.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your advice but it look like im going to require an engineer at least to fix a new door even if i manage to get it open so its not going to be rectified with me only. Thanks for your help but I had hoped to reslove it without calling in an engineer. Cheers
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Replacing the door lock is really easy.

It's done through the front of the machine and only involves taking the door seal off to allow your hand in.

Once the new lock is on, you replace the seal and it's done.

I can help you with the fitting if you want.

Thanks