Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

my NEFF Dishwasher 5443X1 is not taking in water. if I put

my NEFF Dishwasher 5443X1 is not taking in water. if I put water in manually the the cycle will work, what do you suggest
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you post the full E-Nr number of the appliance please?

Include the 2 numbers after the /

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where do I find this number. i have so many numbers in front of me on the machine and on the users manual
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

It may be faintly etched across the top of the door or on a label on the side of the door.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you are right

S5443X1GB/12

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

To check this out you'll need to pull the machine out of it's integrated position.

Unplug the appliance.

Get it out.

Take the left side panel off (viewed from the front).

On the left, near the front is a pressure chamber.

There is a blue bar across a circular part of the chamber.

Press the bar so it's flat against the circular part.

Press and release the button on the microswitch that the blue bar activates.

Plug the machine in and try it again.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Finally got the left side pannel off. located the blue bar shaped like a hook: this bar is vertical at the moment and the micriswitch is not activated

i pulled the blue bar out and it activated the switch. When I let go it jumps back i the wa

When I switch the washing machine back on the pump is still running dry and no water is coming in. I again filled the chamber, at the request of my neighbour, with water and the machine went into a wash cycle. i am now waiting for it to finish

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Does the drain pump stop running at all when you start a new programme?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure which pump is running : the drain pump, the circulation pump or the fill pump if there are three pumps in it.

I do know that if I fill the machine with water the water will be circulated and the machine will eventually empty and from that there is the noise of a pump running dry. The wash cycle will work upto empty and a pump will continue to run dry. If I fill with water then the rince cycle will run up to empty and finish.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, we need to start again .

For me to be able to diagnose the fault I need you to check some things out.

Cancel the programme.

Select a new programme and start it.

The machine should run the drain pump and empty the water out

Does this happen?

Does the drain pump stop running?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi

the machine is currently in the wash cycle. I stoped it and selected a new programme the machine stayed in the wash cycle and did not drain. I repeated and selected an other programme but again the machine stayed in the wash cycle.

The machine is just now emptying and the pump continues to run. It paused 3 times and started to pump again. Now there is no water entering or leaving the machine and the pump that is running is running dry. I have stopped the machine

Tks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

The problem would appear to lie with the microswitch on the pressure chamber.

Unplug the appliance.

Take one of the wires off of the microswitch, insulate it and try the machine again.

Does it start filling with water?

If it does, switch off and unplug again.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I took the connector off the microswitch as there is no seperate wires going to it. Turned back on the machine and the pump is still running dry.

There are 2 wires going to the this connector; a green wire and a white wire. The white wire comes fron another microswitch lower down that seems to control a vertical red plastic bar. the green wire goes back in under the machine.

Tks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Is the red lever activating it's own microswitch?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Yes!

and if I manually pust up the red leaver I can see the machine trying to empty

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

No, it should be down and not activating the switch.

If you have to lift it then it's ok.

When you disconnected the microswitch it should have broken the circuit and allowed the appliance to fill.

Unfortunately it suggests a wiring or control board fault.

I'm afraid I've not checks that will enable us to prove this.

Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi

yes I do have a multimeter and have used it on a few occasions. I will need guidance with setting it up

Ths

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Unfortunately I would need to have the meter to be able to advise on it.

Basically, you need to trace the wiring from the microswitches back to the control board.

Then, test them for continuity and for earth leakage.

If there's a fault in the wiring loom or in the pcb it may cause the problem you are having.

I'll opt out of the question and open it to all experts again.

Hopefully one of them will think of something I'm missing on this.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

tks

I jumped ahead on the suggestion of my neighbour and looked at the circuit board to find that one of the contacts is burnt out.

i am going now to buy a new diskwasher. have you any advice for me?

Thakss for your patience and interest

Regards

Dave

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Unfortunately you already have one of the better makes of dishwasher.

Avoid any of the Chinese made machines.

Try to stick to Electrolux (Zanussi, AEG) or Bosch (Siemens and Neff) machines

XXXXX XXXXX do an own brand which is Electrolux. They do a longer warranty on their own brand.

Good luck with the new machine.

Once you've priced them up, go to www.repaircare.co.uk and obtain a quote for repair for your own appliance.

You may decide to repair rather than replace.

It is a bit of a gamble on nothing else going wrong with it though.

Hope this is of some help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.