Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

hi, i have a zanussi ZWD12270W washer/dryer. I can no

Customer Question

hi,

i have a zanussi ZWD12270W washer/dryer.

I can no longer start a wash cycle. I select a program, press start, after a few seconds the lock clicks, makes a noise and clicks again.

No matter what i do it will not start a wash program

The dryer/spin works fine.

I used the dryer yesterday and i believe its somehow got stuck in a cycle and is paused. i had the same problem about a year ago and i managed to unpause it somehow. I cant remember what i did!

Please help!?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.
Thanks for your question!
I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet.
I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here.
Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that.
Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)
If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Best,
Joan
Moderator
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Turn the appliance on.

Close the door.

Wait for 1 minute.

Press and hold together the start/pause and the option button immediately to the left of it.

You should see an error code displayed.

Let me have the code.

If your machine has no time display, watch the start pause light.

Count the number of green flashes and let me know how many.

Count the number of red flashes and let me know how many.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, When you say turn the machine on. what do you mean.. at the socket? or turn the knob to a particular wash or dry program.. there is no 'on button'

cheers

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

The 12 o'clock position on the knob is OFF.

Turn it on by turning the knob to any programme.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
turn the knob to which setting please?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.
It's in my previous post. ANY programme
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi,

i've followed your instructions and nothing happens. no error code is shown. only the time for the wash program is displayed ie. '1.10'

The dryer and spin programs work fine, and this problem with the washing seems to have occured after using the dryer.. exactly the same thing happened a while a ago and i managed to fix it.. I found a forum somewhere which said it was a common problem after using the dryer on this model.. i did what they said and it worked.. but i cant find the webpage anymore! :/ it was a very simple fix just cant remember it!

thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Ok,

Turn the knob to off.

Press and hold the 2 buttons together.

While holding them, turn the knob 1 click clockwise.

The leds will flash.

Let go of the buttons and the leds will scroll.

Turn the knob slowly through each position.

At the 10th click clockwise it should show an error code. If it does, let me know the code.

Continue clicking through to the off position.

Now turn to any programme.

Turn back to off.

Try the machine again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate,

i've tried what you say but nothing happens..no led's flash, or scroll and no error codes are shown. only the times for the various wash programs?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate,

got it.. error is Ed4

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Error code ED4 indicates a fault with the dryer pcb, the wiring or the main control board.

It can also be caused by a faulty heating element in the dryer.

Unplug the appliance and take the top off.

Disconnect the wires from the dryer heater and insulate them.

Try the machine again.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate,

will do thanks but the dryer is working fine, and the spin

its just the wash that wont work.

matt

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate

when you say 'Disconnect the wires from the dryer heater and insulate them'

i can see the dryer heater.. but there loads of wires plugged into it. .which wires do i need to insulate please?

thanks again

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

The heater is the part coming out the back of the heater box.

Everything else on top is not the heater they are sensors, fan etc.

Just take the wires off the element and insulate them.

Make sure you make a note of which wire goes where.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi! thanks for the extra info.

i presume you mean the 4 wires with plastic plugs which plug on to the back of the heater module?

sorry ot be a bit of pain here

thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Yes, at the rear of the heater box should be the legs of the element sticking out.

Disconnect these and try the machine again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate.

it seems to start now the wires are disconnected??! :)

does this mean something is kaput?

thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

You would need to have, and be able to use, a multimeter to carry out basic checks on the element.

At the moment, it would point to a faulty element that would need replacing.

However, you would need to be able to test it to 100% confirm this.

If you don't have one, can't use one or don't know anyone that has and can, you would have to replace the element on a "fit and see what happens" basis.

The error code refers to a faulty dryer board, wiring or main control board.

However, I do know that faulty heaters can bring up the same fault code.

90% certain it's a heating element fault.

Hope this helps
let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks mate that's ace!!! but if the element is faulty how is it the dryer still works?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,
If the element is going down to earth, insulation low, it will cause this problem with the washer.
It's also why I can only have best guess at the cause, without being able to check the element it really is best guess.

To be honest, rather than spending money on an element and then finding you need a pcb I would suggest checking www.repaircare.co.uk and getting a parts and labour quote for repair from them.
Then check their price against the cost of the element and see whether it's worthwhile gambling on the element.

In the interim, you will be able to use the washer. If you need the dryer before you get it repaired, simply plug the element back in.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Edited by Fred Bloggs on 7/29/2010 at 12:43 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi mate,

i've used a multimeter on the element and i'm reading identical continuity on both of seperate elements..

must be the PCB then!??

thanks very much for your help!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks again for all your advice!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

No problem.

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

good luck with the appliance.

Thanks