Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

Hi - I have a hotpoint washer dryer and the door will not open

Hi - I have a hotpoint washer dryer and the door will not open despite trying everything in the manual. the lock seems to go off after the cycle but still nothing. We have tried all the solutions such as taking off the kick plate and pulling the tab without success
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Joan-Mod replied 6 years ago.
This is Joan and I am a Moderator:
Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when, for example:

1. The question may be unclear.
2. The question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained adequately online.
3. The Experts that are online are simply unable to answer your question.
4. The question price you selected is low for the complexity of the question.
Please feel free to re-word your question [or increase the price] if you feel that may be the reason. [Of course, you are not required to increase the price.]

If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.
If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

Expert:  Techdesk replied 6 years ago.

Can you post the actual model number of the appliance please?

Does the door handle feel as it should when you try to open the machine, or , is it loose?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi - The model of the machine is a wdd ? hotpoint washer dryer. It is only 2 years old. The door handle is not responding at all and is firmly stuck. It seems to be stuck when you grip the handle. I am not sure a do it yourself answer will do as I have tried everything to open the door
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I am waiting on someone calling me from home with the exact model
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The model is a hotpoint Ultima WDD960 Thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for that.

If the door handle is jammed solid then unplug the appliance.

Wait 5 minutes.

With the appliance still unplugged, try to open the door.

(Push on the door to close it and help relieve the tension on the lock when you are trying to open it)

If still locked, give the front panel next to the handle a couple of good thumps to try and jar the lock loose.

If still locked, try pushing the door closed while pulling down on the tab.

If still locked, take the top of the machine off.

Reach inside to the door lock and try to release it there.

If it still won't release, work the lock back and forth, side to side until it comes off of it's screws.

Lift the lock off of the latch and open the door.

In this instance, you'll need to fit a new door lock.

If all else fails, protect the paintwork and lever the door open, breaking the door latch and lock.

In this instance you'll need to replace the door handle/latch assembly and the door lock.

You may already have tried some of these methods but it's worthwhile going through them again.

The only alternative to doing this is to call someone in to repair the appliance.

Click here to find a repairer in your locality

Just fill in your details on both pages and the company you choose should contact you.

Alternatively, Hotpoint will come out and fix it for a fixed price. Give them a call and see what they are charging and what plans are available.

Their charge will include all parts and labour.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.