Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Hello, I have a Hotpoint FFA61, the Freezer High Temp red light

Hello, I have a Hotpoint FFA61, the Freezer High Temp red light is on. I have turned off the power and removed the fan/element cover in the freezer and the fan is not iced up or spinning. What would you advise I try next?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

If there is no ice or cooling in the freezer, turn it back on and check to see if the compressor at the bottom rear is running.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is ice on the element below the fan, which I have just noticed comes on for very short periods. The compressor, the large black pot like thing, is hot and appears to be running.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Did you turn the appliance off for long?

Is the ice on the evaporator (the element you refer to) thick?

All over?

Only for a portion ? (how much is covered?)

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, the appliance has not been turned off for long 5 mins at most.

The ice on the evaporator is only think accross the top and half way down the right hand side of the evaporator.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

You would appear to have a system fault, perhaps a blockage.

I can only suggest turning the appliance off and fully defrosting it

Once fully defrosted (allow a rest period of at least 3 hours for the gas/oil to settle in the compressor) turn it back on and see if it starts cooling down properly.

If it doesn't and you still only get frosting/ice on certain parts of the evaporator I'm afraid you would need to get a refrigeration engineer to come in and check the system.

Unfortunately there is no diy repair for a system fault.

Give the defrost a go first, it may save a big bill.

The worst case scenario is a compressor change and a regas.

This would be expensive but you may want to get a quote from Hotpoint too.

They have a fixed price repair scheme. Give them a call and see how much they want and what options they offer.

Other than that, for an independent repairer you could be looking at £150 plus for a repair.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.