Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

Hi, I have a Hotpoint CTD80 condensing dryer, which is not

Hi, I have a Hotpoint CTD80 condensing dryer, which is not drying properly. I have taken the condensing unit out and cleaned the fins, removed all fluff from the filter, emptied the water bottle. The inside of the dryer is getting hot, but the clothes remain damp. Some water is making its way in to the water container, so it is doing some drying. The rear of the machine is hot to the touch, and I can feel slightly warm air being pushed out. A half load has been on for 4 hours, and is still wet.....any ideas?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 6 years ago.

You have an airflow problem or the water isn't being pumped away properly.

Unplug the appliance.

Take out the condenser, is there a pool of water behind it?

Reach in and check the ductwork.

Take out the filter and look into the slot it fits in.

Is there a lot of fluff visible?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Took the condenser out, and there was no puddle, although when I tipped it up about 1/2 a cup of water came out (i'd stopped it mid-cycle, so i guess that's supposed to happen). I reached in as far as I could, and couldn't find any blockage.

Took the filter out. The slot it fits in is just a large hole that goes down to where the condenser is. No fluff there, and the filter has been cleaned thoroughly.

It's this model:

Expert:  Techdesk replied 6 years ago.

I know which model it is, I have the service manual open on my computer.

If there's not water puddle and there's no visible blockage then I would suspect the fans aren't pushing air around.

Unplug the appliance and take the top and right side panels off.

Take the bulged cover on the rear off.

Clean out any fluff build up and check the rear fan is secure on the motor shaft.

Take the cover off of the front fan and check the same.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Right, i've had the top and both sides off, and there was a fair amount of fluff around the drum and pretty much everywhere really. Have removed all that. I took the bulged cover off, there was no fluff, but a bit of dust on the fan blades which i cleaned as best i could. The fan was secured to the shaft, and spun happily when i rotated the drum. Took the front bit off and hoovered the air intake fan. Have put it all together again now and am running a 2 hour cycle, so i'll let you know when it's done. There doesn't seem to be many other parts in the machine, so I'm hoping this has done it. Thanks for your help so far :)
Expert:  Techdesk replied 6 years ago.

Good luck with it.

As long as the ductwork is clear and the fans are running you should get an even heat through the appliance.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
job done. it finshed that load ok, then i put another lot in, and that dried fine too.
just trying to find the accept button now....
Expert:  Techdesk replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for letting me know how it went.

I'll send this as and answer so you can get the Accept button now.

If you do need more help on it, just use the link in your email to come back here.

Good luck with the appliance.