Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

washing machine seems to be rubbing on something on spin do

washing machine seems to be rubbing on something on spin do you think the fan belt needs changing model no wma46 drum not turning now
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Open the door of the appliance and with your palm upward, lift the inner drum gently until the weight of the outer tub comes on.

Is there a lot of movement?

Did the drum feel loose?

Press down on the bottom inside of the inner drum and rotate it 1/4 turn each way.

Is the noise there?

Does it feel or sound rough?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
drum is very stiff hardly no movement
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

When you were rotating the drum, was it scuffing / rubbing?

What area of the appliance is the noise from?

When does the noise happen?

Just noticed that you said the drum is not turning now, can you expand on this please?

Thanks

Edited by Fred Bloggs on 4/5/2010 at 3:16 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i'm wondering if the fan belt should be replaced the drum is stiff to rotate manually the final spin was very very loud there was a bit of smoke yesterday was wondering if i should get someone out buy a new one?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

The drum shouldn't be stiff to turn.

Unplug the appliance and take the rear panel and the top off.

Take the belt off.

Is the drum still stiff to turn manually?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
taken the belt off drum still stiff
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

The most likely cause of this, is something has got between the drums.

Keep the appliance unplugged and lower the drain hose as low as possible to drain the water out into a shallow dish.

Once emptied, take the hose off the bottom of the tub.

See if you can find the item there.

If not, disconnect the wiring from the heater and remove the heater.

With a torch, look in through the heater port to see if you can find the item.

Hook it out, refit the heater and the sump hose.

Refit the belt and try the machine again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.