Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

Beko WMS641 washing machine. The drum wont turn. Water fills,

Customer Question

Beko WMS641 washing machine. The drum won't turn. Water fills, sounds like its about to start the wask then it stops. I've taken the back off and had a look. Belt's in tact and the motor's copper wires look okay ('though I haven't taken it out to have a propper look). Bit hesitant to open the machine right up.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

When you say "sounds like it's about to start the wash then it stops" what exactly does the appliance do?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Normally it sounds like it is gearing up to begin turning, then it would turn. Now, it sounds like it's about to turn then it just stops.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, I'm really having trouble understanding this bit.

Does the drum move at all when this noise comes? even a small amount?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not that i can see, no.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

There is a strong possibility that the motor is at fault here.

Unplug the appliance and take the rear panel off.

Check the wiring to the motor.

If ok, take the motor plug out and take the belt off.

Take the bolts holding the motor to the tub out.

Take the motor out and check the carbon brushes.

If worn or broken, replace them.

If stuck, free them off.

Refit the motor, the plug and the belt.

Try the machine again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do my best. Can't say I am very confident about disconnecting things but I'll give it a shot. One thing, is it straightforward enough to put back together? I'll keep you posted, thanks.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

It's straight forward taking it apart and just retrace your steps to reassemble.

Putting the belt back on is a bit of a challenge, just fit it to the motor first, then to the pulley, turn the pulley and when it's at it's tightest, turn it a bit more and the belt should jump on.

Good luck with it.

Thanks