Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974
UK Appliance

Hotpoint Iced Diamond Fridge Freezer red light on, fridge

Hotpoint Iced Diamond Fridge Freezer... Show More
Hotpoint Iced Diamond Fridge Freezer: red light on, fridge is warm and freezer melting.
Category: UK Appliance
replied 7 years ago.

If you look at the back part, do you notice if the compressor ( Black steel ball)at the back running? vibrating? or hot to touch? ( Be careful, it could be too hot to handle)

If there is a fan near the compressor, is it running too?

BTW, is this a side by side? Top and bottom? Top freezer or bottom freezer?

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

Fridge is on top and freezer at the bottom. I had turned the whole thing off, on switching it back on, the back seems to be completely dead (although fridge light comes back on). It's at least 9 years old. I'm interested to know whether it's going to be worth my while paying for someone to come out and take a look at it.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 years ago.

It would really be your decision. It would cost about US$60 minimum just to check your unit. And from the status of your unit, we still can not tell if it is a major compressor or sealed system problem or just a minor electrical problem.

Have you tried turning the thermostat controller all the way down to turn it off, then turn it all the way up to turn it on, just to move the contacts inside. It could be just a case of sticking contacts. Then observe if the compressor would run.

Or if the unit is defrosting, it would take about 45 minutes max to transfer to cooling cycle. Why don't you leave it plug in for 45 minutes.

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
OK. I've tried jiggling the thermostat controller but no joy. I think it might be time for a new fridge freezer and in the meantime start organising a party to eat up the defrosting food!

Ok.

Thank you for accepting. Have a happy new year. God bless.