Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

My Hoover washing machine VHD 8162 does not complete its cycle

Customer Question

My Hoover washing machine VHD 8162 does not complete its cycle and 'timer saver' indication flashes part way through although this has not been selected, is this a common problem, what can I replace to solve this?

Many thanks

Ian.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

There should be 2 lights flashing.

If there is, count the flashes between pauses from one of them.

Let me know the result.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will need to run a cycle to check, will reply in 20-30 min.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there

After paying more attention to what the machine is doing, it looks like it tries to spin but there seems to be too much vibration so it stops, it tries a few more times (approx 5 min intervals) then gives up and the 1200 spin speed and time saver indicators both flash together 8 times, pause then flash again. You can manually drain and then manually select spin which does work.

thanks.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

8 flashes indicate a faulty motor, wiring and/or control board.

However, it may get this error code if it can't balance the load properly.

This could be down to it not draining the water quickly enough.

Drain the water out, take the filter out and check that it's clean, clean and free from any debris.

Try it on a rinse and spin again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

It is trying to spin with some water in it but the filter is clear. Presumably the cycle would try emptying the water before it tries to spin (i assume thats why there is too much vibration)? would this suggest a faulty controller rather than anythin else? the motor must be fine as it spinns OK if manually drained and manually set to spin?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

If it's trying to spin with some water still in it then it's a case of the water can't get out quick enough.

If the filter is clear you'll need to unplug the appliance, take the pump out and check the pump, the hose from the sump to the pump and check the drain hose for obstructions.

If you are in a hard water area, check the drain hose for a build up of limescale.

It shouldn't be a faulty controller or a faulty motor as they both work fine once the water is out.

I think the problem lies with the drainage.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, will check the drainage

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Good luck with the repair.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks