Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.

I have a second hand Simpson Impressions series Fridge/Freezer

Customer Question

I have a second hand Simpson Impressions series Fridge/Freezer which was working very well. Abruptly the fridge stopped getting cold. Freezer still works perfectly but fridge doesn't get cold at all. Light works, don't know if this is a thermostat problem or fixable or not fixable - any help appreciated :)

Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 6 years ago.

Do you notice frost accumulation inside the freezer?

Back wall or flooring.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

NO, the fridge and freezer compartments are separate and it is a frost free model. The freezer is working perfectly.

The model also has a separate control for the chiller compartment for fruit and vegetables within the fridge - that does not appear to be working either.

Thanks Tanya

Expert:  Drcool replied 6 years ago.

Hello Tanya,

Can we get the complete model number please? I will try to find a parts diagram for your unit.

Do you feel air circulating in the vents of the fridge section? Press the door switch when doing the test.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi there - thanks for coming back to me. It is a Simpson Impressions Series N300 Twin Air No Frost Totally CFC Free Fridge Freezer. Made in Australia.

Model no. is N300D-RNZ

Serial No. 65140220

I checked air vent - no air circulating - tried with door closer etc - nothing stirring in there :(

Hope it is not totally dead as has been a GREAT fridge freezer up until now.

Many thanks

Expert:  Drcool replied 6 years ago.

Hello Tanya,

I have not found any parts diagram for your unit so I can not see what kind of unit you got.

But We would still continue to trouble shoot your unit but I would just be giving you pointers to look at because I have not seen your parts diagram.

If there is no air coming out of the vents even with a pressed door switch, then that would be one of the problem.

There should be cold air coming out of the vents either coming from the freezer area or coming from a separate evaporator in the fridge area.

Do you happen to know if you have two separate compressors in your system?

In some high end units, there are two compressors, one for the freezer and one for the fridge.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There could be two compressors - I know that the entire back is enclosed. I cannot check right now as the fridge is in the flat attached to my house and the lodger is asleep as it almost 2 a.m. here. I can check in the morning and get back to you on the specs written on the sticker inside the freezer. Thanks for sticking with me... Tanya
Expert:  Drcool replied 6 years ago.

No problem.

It will just take us time because of time difference but we could slowly trouble shoot your unit.

If ever there are two compressors, please take a note of the compressor of the fridge if it is running? Vibrating or hot to touch? ( Be careful, it could be too hot to touch )

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi there - so sorry for long delay, I have been away unexpectedly. I just looked at it again - back of fridge is NOT hot on the outside. The motor thing does come on when the fridge door shuts. Not sure if air actually circulates but whirring noise does take lace. Still no cold though.

Anything else I need to check? Many thanks - Tanya

Expert:  Drcool replied 6 years ago.

The motor that runs as you close the door would be the evaporator fan,. That is good. Next now is if the compressor at the back is running, vibrating? or hot to touch?

If there is a fan near the compressor ( round steel ball, usually at the back or at the top of the unit), Is it running too?