Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Hi, My whirlpool 5145/5 washing machine wont drain the

Customer Question

My whirlpool 5145/5 washing machine won't drain the fabric softener slot in the soap dispenser. I've declogged the tube which vacuums the fabric softener liquid out once water is added. I've tested it under the water tap and it drains fine with a little water. However the liquid is still there after the wash. I'm sure I hear water going through the dispenser during the wash , so I can only assume that the water doesn't reach the fabric softener slot.

I can see holes in the 'ceiling' of the area where the dispenser fits in , like in a shower. I assume the water comes in through there. Could it be that they are clogged on the side of the fabric softener? If so how can I declog those?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  The Home Smithy replied 4 years ago.

HiCustomer

The problem is the solinoids that activate the water coming into the trays. One is not woorking, and needs to be replaced.

Please provide the full model number from the manufacturers lable on the unit. It should be just behind the door on the chassis.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm waiting for the current wash to finish , hold on ;)

No problem. I'll be here all day today, or at least the better part of it. Smile

Edited by The Home Smithy on 10/17/2009 at 12:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
857051415597

Checking for 857051415597 I am sorry but it is not showing as a good number in my database.

At this point I will opt out and this will open the question up to other experts to answer. Sorry for the inconvinence.

Best, THS

Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 4 years ago.
Hello, the Home Smithy is correct about the model number. Is this a North American front loader model? If it is, are you using "Ultra" softener? Ultra is concentrated and is very thick. The dispenser causes a siphon action to occur and the ultra is too thick to properly flow. Try to dilute the mixture and see if it works. Dave
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No this is a British model. I can use the model number on the whirlpool site in Britain ( .co.uk) I'm sure the syphon action is working, because I tested it in the sink by adding a little water to the mixture. It empties nicely with little water.

Regards

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry to jump in here.

It is a UK model.

Your question has now appeared on my screen in the UK appliance category.

I know you've checked some of this.

Take the dispenser drawer out and look into the dispenser and up to the roof of it.

Is it clogged?

If it is, scrub it out and use garden tying wire to poke the holes clear.

Try it again.

If it still doesn't work then it's likely the dispenser top will have to be removed to thoroughly clean it out or, the inlet valve supplying the conditioner compartment has failed.

Check this out and see what you find.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.

Thanks

Edited by Fred Bloggs on 10/18/2009 at 6:46 AM EST
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Fred,

I've turned on the machine while the drawer was out and I can see that whole single row of waterholes don' t have water coming out. There's some water being spouted from the other rows into the direction of the conditioner slot but not much. I've tried adding a cap of water with a cap of conditioner so it fills until the MAX indication. But the little water coming from the other holes doesn't activate the syphon action. I tested it and it basically takes 1 cap of conditioners and almost 2 caps of water to activate the syphon. Those holes need to work.

I've used a toothpick to clean out the holes without effect.

If you tell me how I go about removing the slot roof , checking/replacing the valve and give me the part number, I'll accept the answer.
Also do I need to pull the machine from under of my kitchen top or can I do this from the front?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Unplug the appliance and pull it out from under the worktop.

Take the top off.

Take the dispenser drawer out.

Take out any screws revealed.

Take the hoses off the dispenser (make a note of where they fit and label them).

Take the complete dispenser out of the appliance.

You can try cleaning it in the bath, use a shower hose and see if you can back flush the holes. (Sorry, you're going to get wet).

Once cleaned out, refit the dispenser and try the machine again.

At the rear, do you have 2 hoses supplying 2 valves or does the cold hose have two valves?

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi again,

I've opened up the machine. I noticed there are two valves. One red tube and one blue tube. I assume the red tube is hot water. I'm pretty sure it is not suppling water. I've put my hand in the dispenser at the inlet hole where hot water is supposed to come out, but nothing is coming out of that inlet hole.

However I did manage to get water coming out of the row of shower holes , but playing with some kind of red plastic regulator attached to a steel wire. So they are not clogged. I then moved a white plastic regulator all the way to the left causing more water to go in the conditioner slot. So I fixed that problem.

I do need to fix/ replace that valve. Shall I accept this one and post a new question?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

There's nothing wrong with your valve.

It will only ever take in hot water on the hottest wash and even then it's very little.

The rest of the time the machine only takes cold water and heats it as required.

If the valve was faulty then the appliance wouldn't work on the hot wash and it the electrical coil on the valve was faulty, the machine wouldn't work at all.

If you've cleared the jets and got the conditioner working, you're sorted.

Well done on the achievement.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Fred.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

You're very welcome.

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Thanks