Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

My Zanussi washing machine wont drain or spin. I have checked

My Zanussi washing machine won't drain or spin. I have checked filter adn manually drained it but it still wont spin. It is 10 years old! Do I need a new one?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you post the model number of the appliance please?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Zanussi washer-dryer WJS 1397 W
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

When it should drain do you hear a buzz or hum from the pump?

Drain the water out manually again, take the filter out and put the machine on a drain or spin programme, listen at the open filter housing to see if you can hear the pump.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Without water, it spins slowly back and forward a few times but when it tries to go fast it cant quite get there. I have just tried again without any washing in it and it seems to be spinning fast now.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, I'm looking for information on the pump.

If it didn't empty, the first part of the problem is the pump.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, there is just a low hum.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

From the sound of it, it would suggest that something is in the pump jamming it.

Unplug the appliance and turn the water to it off.

Disconnect the water hoses if necessary.

Lay the appliance over onto it's left side (viewed from the front) and onto a low support so it's about 45 degree angle.

The drain pump is attached to the filter housing.

Look underneath the machine and you'll see the clips coming through the plastic base that hold the housing.

Squeeze the clips and push them into the plastic base a little.

You can now slide the pump out of the housing.

Clear the blockage/jam and then refit the pump.

Push the housing back down until the clips lock into the base again.

Stand the machine back up, restore the water and power.

Try the machine again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help.

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.