Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

cooker hood not working. no lights or extractor. this was wired

Customer Question

cooker hood not working. no lights or extractor. this was wired by an electrician who did not use a switched spur fuse? is there a fuse in the hood or is there a bigger problem. it's a baumatic not sure what model but its a recirculating extractor
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Without a model number you'll only get general information on the hoods badged by Baumatic.

Take out the filters and check for a label inside the hood.

The wiring should be on top of your kitchen units, follow it to see where it is wired to.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can't find label on the inside of hood. red and black wire inc earth comes from wall direct to extractor. I'm not at the house now and won't be for a while (3 weeks) but our tenant is there giving me the info. its a 600mm hood recirc it has 3 speed and lights. would there be a fuse in the hood itself? i'm in Cornwall and this hood is in London. don't really want to go up there if i can just get the tenant to change a fuse. i got the hood from trade appliances code F60.2SS but i think they have gone bust i was hoping they could give me the model number but administraters have taken over. hope you can help. Nick
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

F60.2 is a chimney style hood.

There is no fuse in the appliance itself.

(Unless your electrician has wired it differently).

The installation instructions do say it has to be wired to a fused spur.

It may be worth getting the tenant to check there's nothing switched off anywhere in the kitchen.

You would need to determine if power is getting to the hood.

Is the tenant correct that it comes from the wall and not from a fused outlet?

If you are definitely getting 240 to the hood then the fault is likely to be in the switches.

Sorry, either you have no supply to the hood or the switch bank on the hood has failed.

Hope this helps
Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i will be paying you. waiting for my tenant to get back to me on the info you gave me. i need him to find the model number in case it is the switch and i need to order a new one etc. and want to find out if there is power to the unit. his mate is good with that sort of stuff. than you. Nick
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for letting me know.

You have the model number, F60.2SS is the model number.

The switch part number appears to be sysp014.

Confirm you have power to the appliance first.

If you have, isolate it and take the push button controls out.

Open up the box and see if it's burned out.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the info. seems odd talking to someone i don't know. i'm going up in 3 weeks. there going to live without it until then. thanks for the part number. not sure if i click accept you will get this message so ill reply now and accept after this message has gone. if the switch is not faulty can i get in touch again. do the switches normally burn out? thanks for your help. Nick
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

If you still have problems, just come back here through the link in your email and post again.

I've replaced a lot of switches in various makes of hood for burn out.

The pcb mounted switches have always given more trouble than traditional switches.

Good luck with it.

Thanks