Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Hi I have a whirlpool ADP4501/5 dishwasher which has stopped

Customer Question

Hi

I have a whirlpool ADP4501/5 dishwasher which has stopped working.

The dishwasher makes all the relevant noises but no water is pumped into the machine. If I pure water into the machine it drains it ok.

I have cleaned it out and descaled it.

Strange because when I run it on pre rinse the water does get pumped in but not when i use other cycles.

After a while the green light on the front button starts flashing.

Can you help me please.

Thanks

John Lacey
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
which green light flashes?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

The one immediately above the start button

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
so if your pour water into it it works just fine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it won't work with another cycle. it just drains the water i poured in.
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
is there any wording by that green light? sorry for the question my parts page is down right now so im trying to get the feel of this do you have a meter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi, sorry the Page crashed i ddidn't realise you replied!!

No there is wording by the green light.

There is a large START button with a small green light above it. Usually, the light goes on when you press start and stays on until the cycle finishes. now it just flashes after a while and machoine hasn't worked

Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
i see do you have a meter by chance? also do you have a touchpad or is this a dial timer? does this happen with all the cycles
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hi, there is no meter and it is a dial. it happens with all cycles. thanks
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.
what i meant was do you have a meter not the machine? sorry i guess i should have worded it different
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i don't, thanks
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

ok thanks i believe that your problem is going to be the timer i was thinking it was the water inlet valve selenoid but it works on the pre rinse so that canceled that out and the only item left would be the timer hope this helps you

If this answers your question,click accept as this is how we get paid for our knowledge.Need more info ask.bonuses appreciated. note;As I am not there this is based on your observations and information.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
how do i get it working?
Expert:  william replied 5 years ago.

you will need to put a new timer in this you cant fix the timer you have in there you will need a new timer

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

I'm really sorry to butt in here, your question has come across to the UK Appliances section.

Unfortunately William is offline at the moment so I can't check with him, I think he's looking at the US version of this model number, which is an entirely different machine.

When the appliance goes wrong, the start light will flash.

Count the number of flashes between pauses and post the result here.

Once I have this I should be able to help you further.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thank you for answering me.

The green light flashes 4 times.

Even the pre rinse isn't working now, it just worked the once

Ta

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

That indicates a draining failure.

Take out the bottom basket and the filters.

In the sump you'll see a black grid on the right hand wall.

Carefully clean this out then pour a kettle full of boiling water into the sump, getting as much as possible into the black grid.

Try the machine again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i will go and try that now and let you know

ta

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

I think we are getting somewhere now. I have cleaned out the black grid, it was full of crap. I have poured two kettles into the sump and tried to get as close to the black grid as possible.

Ther machine has drained the water and i can feel the waste pipe is hot. The light has stopped flashing but the machine is still making the noise but not letting any water in or turing the arms round?

Ta

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Reset the appliance, set it to a programme and press start.

The drain pump should start first, after a while it should stop and water should come in.

If there is a problem, it should stop and flash the light at you again.

Count the flashes for the error code.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

I'm not 100% sure how to reset so I held the power and the start button down together for arounf 10 seconds and then the flashing light changed. I then pressed start on with it set at pre rinse and now the pre rinse is working, i can here the water going in. The green light is now flashing (not 4 times like before just on and off) while the pre rinse is working?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

To reset, you just press and hold the start button till the light goes out.

Select a programme and then press start.

Close the door and away it should go.

Reset it now, set it to a hot wash and try it out.

Good luck

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I reset it and set to an intense wash.

the machine made the noises of the water draining but no water went in and after a few mins the light started flashing green 4 times again.

I have tried to reset again but it seems to ignore the reset and when i close the door in carries on whether the light in green or not?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Unfortunately you'll have to now consider replacing parts on the appliance to try and cure the fault.

There are only 3 parts involved.

The water indicator (black grid).

The wiring from the indicator to the pcb.

The PCB.

The most common cause is the water indicator (the black grid).

This is a twist fit from the outside of the sump.

Unplug the appliance, take the inspection panel below the door off. Be careful as the edges exposed are razor sharp.

Take care when pulling the water indicator out, twist it 45 degree anti clockwise then pull out, manouvere it past the heater.

Don't get the plug wet or you'll get all sorts of problems.

Fit the new one and try the machine again.

Click here for the water indicator

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Just giving it one last go following all your steps.

I got the garden hose out and took out the filter and blasted the black grid with the hose. So much junk came out it was awful! The black grid looks like new now though!

I closed the door and let the pump do it thing. i repeated this 4 times and on the last time of closing the door it seems to have started working. The green light is solid and i can hear the water rushing in. Not sure if it is still stuck in the pre rinse mode so I'm not getting too excted just yet but am hopeful! i will let you know at the end o this cycle. Ta

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

It's not stuck on pre rinse.

Whenever there is a fault the light goes to the rinse light and flashes the start light.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi

no didn't work. It did one wash and now back to the light flashing 4 times

thanks for your help, guess it's a new machine

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

You should only need to replace the water indicator.

Surely got to be worth a try, it's a fraction of the price of a new appliance.

If you can't do the repair yourself, obtain a price from Domestic and General for a repair and 1 year extended warranty on the whole machine. www.domgen.com will get you details and the phone number.

Hope this helps

Thanks