Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

I have had an E20 problem with my Zanussi Washer Dryer ZWD

Customer Question

I have had an E20 problem with my Zanussi Washer Dryer ZWD 1271W and I did a manual reset on the switch on the pump and then reran through the start up.

Now is will turn on but pressing the start button does not make it start.

Any ideas?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

What switch on the pump is this?

Press and hold the start/pause and skip/reset buttons.

Whilst holding them, switch on.

The machine will beep or flash at you, let go of the buttons.

The leds will now be scrolling.

Press and release the temperature button and repeat until you have the bottom led of the second column lit.

You'll see an error code displayed, let me have this.

Now switch off, switch on and then switch off again.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi.

These were the instructions that I followed (The error now reads E51).

Yes it's the pump BUT!

ELECTRICITY CAN KILL, TAKE YOUR TIME AND BE CAREFUL

PROBLEM
There is a thermal switch inside the pump and this corrodes even after a year. If the filter is blocked the the pump has to work harder and so heats up (a lot). This switch is prone to staying open once it trips out.
SOLUTION
Isolate machine from mains and water supply.
Empty machine with drain hose and bucket at floor level.
Clean Filter out.
Turn machine on its side.
Remove electrical connections from pump.
Remove 3 screws holding pump (small leakage so get a towel).
Remove PUMP from machine. (be observant now)
Remove plastic cover over coil on pump.(its easy)
Thermal switch is soldered between 2 of the now 3 visible terminals. about 7mm x 15mm x 2mm in size
Remove small insulating cover and bend switch up about 30 degrees then flick with fingernail and blow out the dust or rust.
This resets the switch (horray)
Replace insulation on switch and bend back into position gently.
Replace cover over the coil.
Turn pump by hand (resistance should be like pushing 2 small/ medium size magnets together the wrong way)

Return pump to machine and reconnect pumps electrical connections. 2
Reconnect machine to mains (water and electric and waste)
Turn on machine while holding START and SKIP BUTTONS at the SAME TIME.
Leave it off for five mins then turn off and turn on again.
If it does not work straight away RESET again and Repeat as above.
SELECT PROGRAM AND WASH ALL YOUR TROUBLES AWAY.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

It's the thermal cutout in the windings that have been reset.

Did you lay the machine on it's right side (viewed from the front)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I did!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

I think you may find the main control board has failed.

E51 indicates a failure of the motor triac. (main wash motor).

The can be because of a faulty motor, faulty wiring or a faulty main board.

Check the wiring to the motor, take the carbon brushes out of the motor and replace if worn away.

Check the main control board, located front right of the appliance and hanging down, for obvious damage.

If you have to lie the machine on it's side, lie it on it's left side so the water dispenser is the low point. If you lie it on it's right side you run the risk of water from the dispenser and dispenser hose running down onto the main control board.

If you need a motor and control board you will be looking at £300 plus for the parts.

In this case, I'd suggest checking www.domgen.com and phoning them for a price for a repair and 1 year extended warranty.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Check out the motor and motor plug first. Make sure nothing is disloged in the control board and try it again.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi

Typical...

I will have to get a new one. Any suggestions for a reliable good quality washing machine?

Thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Reliable and good quality come at a price I'm afraid.

Check out the ISE machine, click here for the website

After that it would be Miele but they have some very restrictive practises which prevent the independant repairer being able to repair their machines

Whichever one you go for, good luck with it.

Thanks