I.can
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  10 Years repairing appliances in Europe, Middle East and the USA
13086822

The red light next to PC is flashing on my miele W 919 washing

The red light next to PC is flashing on my miele W 919 washing machine and the water is not flowing in. The machine is 12 years old and has never required any repairs in that time ! Should I call an engineer or buy a new machine ?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  I.can replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

You should first remove the water supply hoses and check if the water inlet screens in one end or the other of these hoses are clogged.
And if so clean the screens out and replace them back into the hoses. Then test your washer.

How old is the washer , 12 years old?

Here is an interesting report I just read!!!!!!!!!!

Repair or replace?

When to pull the plug on your old washer

Typically, you'll also find a troubleshooting section for more-serious problems
in the owner's manual.

Should you pay for a repair or buy a new model?
The answer depends mostly on the age of your washer,
how much you bought it for,and the cost of the repair.

Follow these guidelines:

When a repair makes sense.

If your washer is under warranty or less than four years old ,
paying for a repair makes sense.
Note that washers under warranty might require service from a factory-authorized technician;
readers have found them on a par with independent repairers.

When a repair might be a wise choice.

If your washer is out of warranty and is four to seven years old,
it might make sense to pay for a repair. Customers generally pay $100 to $200 for a repair.
But you might want to buy a new model even at this stage,
given that today's models have added features.
Higher energy efficiency is another plus: Energy Star-qualified models made after April 28, 2008,
are 43 percent more efficient than conventional models built before 2001 and 56 percent
more efficient than those built before 1993.

When it pays to replace.

The repair costs more than half the price of a comparable new washer.
Data also shows that it doesn't pay to fix a less-expensive washer
eight or more years old.

Thanks to better recycling programs, less than 10 percent
of washers you replace are likely to end up in a landfill.
I.can, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 10 Years repairing appliances in Europe, Middle East and the USA