Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

I have a whirlpool american fridge/freezer which keeps knocking

I have a whirlpool american fridge/freezer which keeps knocking off. A beeping sound occurs and the temperature in degrees flashes with no digits. Even when temperature is reset the appliance still knocks off without warning. Also when the ice maker 'on' button is chosen there is a clicking sound from the rear of the appliance. This sound stops when either of the appliance doors are opened. The appliance was only purchased within the last two years but I have misled the handbook and perhaps am missing some vital information. Even with setting the fridge temperature at 3/5 degrees there is little sign of coolness. Ar best the appliance is no better at present than having a storage cupboard. I look forward to your help.

I've requested your model number etc. on your other post.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Model number FRBB2VAF20/0

The clicking noise from the rear is the relay on the main control board.

Unfortunately you'll need to replace this board and the front user board to cure the fault.

The problem with the freezer temperature may also be the rear board to blame again.

Unfortunately, to replace the two boards you are looking at around £300 for the parts.

I'd suggest calling Domestic and General and asking about a repair and warranty on the appliance. Check to obtain full information and their phone number.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know if you need further advice.

If your machine is newer than 2003 then you may get away with just changing the rear board.

Hope this helps