Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

My Whirlpool AWM 049 - AA 1000 SPIN (built in model) washing

My Whirlpool
AWM 049 - AA 1000 SPIN (built in model) washing machine still switches on, sounds like its working (not spinning though), gets stuck on one cycle, 'Water stop' red light comes on and water comes out of the soap tray.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

You set the program, close the door and switch on.

What exactly happens from that point?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I turned it on, after about 1 minute, water started coming out of drawer so i just turned it off.

Later i tried it again, water filled up in drawer but nothing goes into drum and it didn't leak. It spins about 10 times, then it stops spinning but still makes noises like it's working, then the red water stop light comes on, the light stays and the machine still sounds like it's wokring but it doesn't spin and no water goes in.

I've thought it might be the filter but i'm unable to get the cap off on the front.....It's really tight.

thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, I think we need to look at this one fault at a time. Trying to get them all in is just confusing the issue.

Fixing one may well sort the others out.

Take the dispenser drawer out, clean it out and clean out the dispenser.

Get a large set of pliers and get the filter out, water will come out so a towel will be handy.

Clean out the filter and pump housing.

Once you've got these done, try the machine again.

If still faulty, get back to me and we'll move on to the next part.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The filter is really stiff, is it just a twist off or is there something I'm missing?

I'm worried about breaking the filter cap....
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

It's a screw in filter. It just unscrews anti clockwise.

It can be tight but if it unscrews a little then sticks that means there is something in there jamming it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've tried unscrewing it with pliers and the twist cap has unclipped and come off the front, the cap appears to be two parts and the bit you hold to twist just clips onto the filter, it's come off but the filter is still in there. To get the filter out I need to twist but to twist i need the cap back on the filter but to get the cap back on I think i'll have to hammer it but I'm not sure what the banging will do the other parts in the machine.

Any suggestions?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

No, don't hammer it.

The filter part just pulls out, something is jamming it into the pump.

Unplug the appliance from the wall socket.

Open the door and take the retaining ring holding the door seal to the front panel off, then peel the door seal off the front panel.

Take the screws holding the door interlock in place out.

Underneath the front panel, take the 3 bolts out.

Press downward on the front panel and lift it away.

You now have full access to the pump and filter housing.

Take the hoses off the filter housing, take the wires off the pump and take the unit out of the machine.

Look into the filter housing ports where the hoses were attached. You should be able to see what debris is holding the filter in place. Take this out, then the filter should come out for cleaning.

Ensure you take all the debris out and that the pump impellor is free to turn. Check inside the hoses for more debris and clean it out if there's anything there.

Reassemble the machine then try it again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I've finally got it working. I went back to your original answer and managed to pull it out wihtout damaging anything.
There were hairclips stuck in there and it was cracked so i replcaced the pum filter and it's all wokring again.