Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC

I have Brandt fridge/freezer. Motor runs and fridge is OK but

Customer Question

I have Brandt fridge/freezer. Motor runs and fridge is OK but freezer only partially. Many times I've overcome this problem using a hotgun to defrost (although it's supposed to be 'frost free') but now it doesn't work. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you probably need to remove the back panel in the freezer section and defrost the coil compltely and then you need to test the defrost system to find where its failing, I'm not sure if its the defrost timer, defrost thermostat, or defrost heater. it has to be one of the three.can you get me the model #? thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Bryan. Not sure which is model number but what is shown is HTK 8oAA and R600a (ce). I believe Brandt use a PCB(?) rather than a thermostat.
Expert:  Bryan replied 5 years ago.
you may be right, I cant get the info on this so I'll opt. out ,but I know its one of the things I mentioned. thanks Bryan
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: EPA Certified HVAC
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

By opting out you mean you can't be of any help which leaves me none the wiser. What do I owe you for your time? Or is it 'no help, no charge'

Customer
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

In your intial post, did you mean that defrosting the freezer manually no longer gets it working again?

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

First thing is that I'm in the UK...does that make a difference?

Anyway, to answer your question, when the freezer stops working I usually apply a hotgun to the horizontal grid at the base of the plastic back panel...I don't actually get to the coils which, I assume are behind the back panel ( which I don't know how to remove). The panel seems to held in place by plastic studs which don't appear to be unscrewable!

Hope this helps.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Being in the UK is ok, I'm there too. LOL.

OK, the first thing to do is just do a manual defrost, ie, turn the machine off, 24 hours with the doors open. This will clear the evaperator in the freezer.

Turn it back on and if it starts working again then the initial post here from Bryan will be on the right lines.

There are 3 parts associated with the defrost function.

The first is the pcb, this controls everything.

The next is the defrost heater and the last the defrost thermostat.

I would suspect the heater (or thermal fuse if fitted) is open circuit.

This means it's not defrosting properly and ice builds up on the evaperator. Once this the fan is unable to circulate the cold air so the freezer gets warmer.

Carry out the manual defrost. See how it goes and let me know.

Good luck with the diagnosing.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks, I'll do that and let you know what happens

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Many thanks, XXXXX XXXXX worked and freezer now running OK. Nothing else seems to be wrong so I'll leave well alone!!

Customer/p>
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

Just come back if the fault returns quickly.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to let you know that I have accepted but the message I got back was a little confusing in that it mentioned Bryan Paul....hope the money goes to you because Bryan opted out.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 5 years ago.

Hiya,

No problem, I'll notify them what's happened.

Thanks