Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have sound but no picture, was trying to get Amazon fire

Customer Question

I have sound but no picture, was trying to get Amazon fire stick connected but arghhhh
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: It is a Pioneer Kuro and it has a AV box (think that is what it is). Anyway I got confused and put the fire stick in back of to, that showed picture but no sound. The kids then said well how does the PlayStation work .. Anyway realised that the stick should be in the AV thingy .. Pulled out PS cable and stuck in Firestick and now I get the sound from cable but no picture and nothing from the stick ...
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Err we only have the cable TV normally, yes menu still works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We were watching Chelsea game and it is still on so less than 90 mins .. right before was when I pulled out PS cable .. No actually I pulled out the other cables before .. have put them all back in where they came out
JA: Is there anything else important you think the expert should know?
Customer: I am a bit of a technophobe .. We did have a fiddle with the menu but put everything back where it should be .. As I said were watching TV
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

You are on the right track, the fire stick needs to be on a hdmi port, and also needs a power connection.

There are some programming issues on the tv though, and to be quite honest there is a good chance this won't work at all. These pioneer tvs are all obsolete at this point and based on the age many of them do not fully support HDCP and will not be able to successfully communicate with some newer devices like a firestick.

What you would try here is to go into the pioneer menu and there in the setup options you should see input mode or source settings, where you will choose which ports to use for which device. So you can use AV mode for example, but set it to be associated with the hdmi1 port for video and hdmi1 for audio.

You can mix and match the source port assignments on these, which is why it gives no sound or the wrong sound, it has to be pointed to the fire stick for both audio and video signals to bring them up.

If that does not work, please post back with the full model number of the tv and I can verify if there are compatibility issues with your particular system.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No still not working, could it just be a loose cable?
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

There really is no "cable" for these fire sticks, just straight into the hdmi port,

it does need power though, from the port on the side of the stick to the power outlet adapter. That could be loose or missing.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
No hold go back one .. Ignore the fire stick bit for now .. Had cable to which was was working, then got picture from fire stick but no sound. At this point I got the hump, put everything back and removed the fire stick .. Had dinner and the kids were going on about why does the PlayStation work, so then I realised it shouldn't go in back of tv HDMI socket but the one which is called AV box LX01, I pulled out the wrong cable first - the one between TV and AV put that back, then pulled out cable tv one, put that back and then another one which I think was sound .. Put that back. Finally pulled out PS one and put fire stick in. At this point realised no picture ... Subsequently have put PS one back in but still no picture
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

But can you see the pioneer menu screens?
Everything should be connected through the AV receiver

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
but I don't have the option you say in Set Up. I just went in and changed Input from1 to 3 and have lost sound but have a black/white screen which is as if it is trying to find a picture.
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Do you have a button on your remote that says SOUND?

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Also are you using the sound system remote, or the tv remote?
You have a different setup than I expected, with the av box being a surround sound receiver, not just a media receiver.

Most of the pioneer systems have a separate "media receiver" or control box paired with the tv.

If you don't have that, you can go direct to the tv with the stick, but you'd need a separate optical cable from the tv back to the sound system for audio.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hello
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Yes, I'm here.

Did you see my last 2 comments about 15 minutes ago?