Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My 90 year old father purchased a new 55" Samsung 1080 TV at

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! My 90 year old father purchased a new 55 " Samsung 1080 TV at Walmart in Bloomington IL just a week ago. I was in town from Denver to pickup and set it up for him. We love the picture and remote but have one problem which is significant for my Dad because he is near deaf and relies totally on closed caption. Sourse of programming is Comcast cable. We have CC turned on and most of the time captions appear on the screen just fine. Sometimes, however, especially after being turned off over night, Dad turns on TV in the morning and captions do not appear. This also happens sometimes while watching during the day. after waiting for a while captions return and generally stay rest of the day. This morning he started with no captions, but after turning off the TV for 5 minutes, when he turned back on the captions had returned. Can you tell me why this is happening and is there anything Dad can do to maintain the closed captions at all times on his screen? Thank you for your assistance, Gary
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It's a brand new 55" Samsung Smart, 1080 res. , don't know model off hand. Turning on TV is not a problem. The problem is keeping closed captions on the screen at all times. Sometimes they disappear.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works fine. Problem is only with TV input which is Comcast cable into HDMI 1 input.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Since we purchased TV a week ago. Nothing else unusual is happening.
JA: Is there anything else the expert should be aware of?
Customer: no
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

Do they use basic cable (coax only) or is there a comcast cable BOX here?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
He uses a Comcast cable box receiver
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for confirming,

the problem is not the tv,

the tv is simply a display in this case, the captions are generated by the cable box and sent to the tv along with the rest of the picture. As far as the tv is concerned, the captions are just part of the video/images it is displaying.

So the issue is coming from the box itself.

I'd recommend you start by unplugging power to the comcast box for 5 minutes to reboot,

then go back into the comcast menu, usually under options or accessibility, and set captions/subtitles to ON there,

then keep an eye on it and let me know if the problem returns.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

You're very welcome, and best of luck to you!

If by chance this process does not work, then the box itself is faulty, and the next step would be to contact comcast and ask that they replace the box for him.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
As I stated before, I agreed to pay only a $5.00 charge for an answer to my father's TV CC issue. Please refund any other unauthorized amount you may have charged me. Thank you, ***** *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

That is not how the site works, Gary.

We are all licensed experts here, and we charge a fair price for service. 5$ is not the price, only the initial deposit, you agreed to the full amount on the payment page. If you go back as well as check the confirmation email, you will see the total amount you agreed to where it states that you pay 5 to post your question and the remaining balance that you would be charged upon receiving an answer. Rationally you can’t expect highly trained and licensed service professionals to work for $5 or less. For comparison purposes, had you called a technician out to his home, you'd be paying a minimum $100 service call for the exact same answer.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help. Similarly asking for a refund or not honoring the full price you agreed to has the effect of forcing me to work for free for my time spent helping you.