Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

1999 Sharp TV set in my motorhome always with a beautiful

Customer Question

1999 Sharp TV set in my motorhome always with a beautiful picture it's the old tube that type just last night I lost my picture completely there's lines across lines lines lines you know very close together I can see that it's on Channel 4 because it shows on the on the screen also I can hear the idea was there so it's just TV ready to be recycled you think?
JA: No. Was it good?
Customer: It has always been a great TV set with a great picture the reason I still have it of course
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Okay you have me there I have that information back in the motorhome but I'm actually away from that right now but it's a 20 1 inch Sharp is the exact model necessary?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menu does work but it didn't give me many options I thought I would have something to do with the picture but it doesn't really give me any options and none that would help me yes and it's on every channel I have not on a cable system I'm just on my old batwing antenna with the digital converter box
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just started last night during the Bee Gees concert on CBS and the only thing that came on it's a time one of my AC units came on so it handled maybe a little bit of a surge power surge or something but I went to the back I was sharp in the back of the rig it's a smaller model but it's the same. That still works
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No but I'm not at my home right now so I don't know what other helpful information I can give you I'll be home in a little bit but you know 30 minutes
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review and reply.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

This does indicate an internal hardware failure. Unfortunately for a tv this type and age, repairs would not be feasible. The tv is far past its service life at this point, and crt technology is long obsolete. Even if you did want to have it fixed, parts are just not readily available and you'd pay hundreds in labor costs. The tv could be replaced with a brand new model in the $100 range (depending on size, but I'm assuming it is a pretty small tv).

The biggest difficulty is that being in an RV, I assume it is built into a niche or cubby and you'll have some size limitations. If you can tell me how wide and tall the space is, I can help you to find a suitable replacement model.