Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have an Elite Pioneer tv (old!)I use Xfinity for service.

Customer Question

I have an Elite Pioneer tv (old!)I use Xfinity for service. My children were trying to change the display mode using the xfinity remote and settings. The monitor went black. You can hear it and change channels but no pictre and we can't see the settings prompt to change it back.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 15 years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Just happened this weekend tried hitting last on remote, unplugging everything, using Pioneer remote
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Can you get the model number off the back of the TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
0***********
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

That's not a model number. Sticker on the back of the TV- will say Elite then a model. Can you find that or no? Ldet me know either way.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

An example is below:

PRO-150FD

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
PDP-S35
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. Grab the original Pioneer remote and pull up the MENU- does the MENU display? Also (important), is the sound you're hearing coming from the TV's speakers- or some sort of external sound system? Reply back with the answers to both of those so we can proceed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The speakers from the monitor work, the menu button does nothing but I know the remote works because the input put works
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Elaborate. When you say Input works you can actually SEE THE INPUT show on the TV screen or no?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm not trying to find out if your remote works, I'm trying to find out if you can get anything at all to display on that TV screen. Let me know.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The speakers from the monitor work, the menu button does nothing but I know the remote works because the input put worksYes If I push the input buttons it displays in top right corner. It's on Input 4Yes I can see the words Input 4
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay. What Input do you normally view cable from- is it in fact Input 4?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The speakers from the monitor work, the menu button does nothing but I know the remote works because the input put worksYes If I push the input buttons it displays in top right corner. It's on Input 4Yes I can see the words Input 4Yes only Input 4 works
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried rebooting your cable box yet?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If not- shut the TV off. Unplug the power cord from the back of the cable box for 15 seconds and plug it back in. Wait 3 minutes for it to start rebooting. Turn the TV ON- select "Input 4" and let me know if you can see the bootup information (or programming) on your TV screen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The speakers from the monitor work, the menu button does nothing but I know the remote works because the input put worksYes If I push the input buttons it displays in top right corner. It's on Input 4Yes I can see the words Input 4Yes only Input 4 worOK
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please stop sending the same reply. Stop, and read this reply and follow these steps:

Shut the TV off. Unplug the power cord from the back of the cable box for 15 seconds and plug it back in. Wait 3 minutes for it to start rebooting. Turn the TV ON- select "Input 4" and let me know if you can see the bootup information (or programming) on your TV screen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waiting for it to reboot now
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the reply. You should see some startup information on your TV screen indicating the box is rebooting as well. Please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Waiting for it to reboot now
Turned tv back on and only get the Input 4 Display Full Dynamic in top right corner.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Is the sound from the cable channels working?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No other information came up. Monitor is black
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm asking if the SOUND can be heard from your cable channels- nothing about the screen being black. Can you?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I said before the sound is fine
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

That was before the reboot.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I will opt out at this point. Someone else should be along later.