Joe
Joe, Technician
Experience:  ASE cert tech for over 12 years, electronics has been my highest study, 4 years of home electronics
20508815

Thank you... my cable isn't connecting properly, I've unplug

Customer Question

thank you... my cable isn't connecting properly
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: I've unplug both from the wall and from the top monitor
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: VIZIO is the model
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I try input it is showing cable box but I'm on computer hook up???
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Please elaborate on "cable isn't connecting properly"

Also when you say you try input its showing cable but you're on the computer hook up? Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The input button on the remote has the cable box as showing HDMI instead and the cable tv won't show. VIZIO
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Ok, do you use a coax cable or hdmi cable or other type of cable to connect the tv to the cable box?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe it is HDMI although it seems to be both. I just need to switch with input button
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Ok, when you press the input/source button each press should change the source or once you press it you then use the left/right key and press enter. For me to confirm I will need the actual full model number from the tv so that I can review which remote you have. For instance should switch between hdmi 1, hdmi 2, etc.

On the tv back will be a tag with the model number.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'll find it but what is left/right key? I used input button
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
e32-C1
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

It depends on model of tv as your tv model may not use those type of buttons on the remote, I was being general until I have the model number of the tv to which then I can give exact steps. Give me just a min while I review the model.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
E32-C1
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Yes, your remote has a square box in center and another small one inside that one which is the ok button, larger outside one is up, down, left and right.

I have confirmed it is how I explained before so here in page 22 you will see how to change the input source: Click here for the manual

To change the input device:

1.

Press the INPUT button on

the remote. The input menu is displayed.

2.

Use the Up/Down Arrow buttons or the

INPUT button on the remote to highlight the input

you wish to view and press OK.

The selected input is displayed.

Thank you!

- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.

If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.

Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am not satisfied since all you've done is send me to the manual which doesn't help my either!
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'd be willing to pay if you could fix this problem
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I did not just send you to the manual, I explained it step by step and only sent you the manual to also show what I was explaining.

To further assist I need to then know what is happening when you follow the steps I explained?

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

When you do this

To change the input device:

1.

Press the INPUT button on

2.

Use the Up/Down Arrow buttons or the

you wish to view and press OK.

The selected input is displayed.

What then happens? Are you able to select the correct source? Which input is the cable box on on the tv?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the input button is still mixed up
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HDMI is on when the input says cable
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is when it is pluged into computer; otherwise there is no signal
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

What happens when you change to other sources?

Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I ask because there is an hdmi 1 and an hdmi 2, try selecting the other hdmi input (since it seems you have the computer and tv both connected via hdmi) this means one is on hdmi 1 and the other is on hdmi 2

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
still nothing. HDMI 2 is on when not pluged into computer otherwise HDMI 1
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm willing to pay if you'd call me
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I accepted the phone call request however it has stated there is a problem and will not allow me to contact you, in order for me to call you should be contacted such as via email or you will need to contact support as I do not have access to customers accounts or any info and I am unable to comment anything more. Once that has been fixed I can then call you.

So for now this way is my only option.

Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Please swap the two hdmi cables on the back of the tv, for instance if the computer is in hdmi 1 then please take the cable box hdmi 2 cable and put it in the hdmi 1 where the computer is connected and let me know if it then comes on the screen and vise versa for the computer. What this is going to do is tell me if the problem is with the tv or external such as cable or cable box as well please make sure the cable box is turned on.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I thought this was support? How can I contact support? Do you have a number?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or better yet give me your phone number and I will unlock it
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I am on the support end where I am an expert that helps the customer with his or her question, I have no access to customers accounts or info, etc. You should be able to go into your account on the website and select to contact customer service/support in regards ***** ***** problem. Let me see if I can contact support to have them assist you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I won't call you if you'd rather not but I'll need your number to unlock you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will you have support call me?
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I have no problem speaking to you on the phone and would love to do so, I am however not allowed nor able until whatever issue it is is resolved. I am going to submit a ticket for support to contact you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Alright, thank you.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Ok I have asked them to contact you. In the mean time can you try swapping hdmi inputs on the tv for me please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cable still shows HDMI and HDMI 2 (when plugged into computer) shows "Somethings not quite right"
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cannot see how to change HDMI on tv, only on the input button on remote
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I haven't heard from them, do they still intend to call me?
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

There is unfortunately no way for me to check that. All I can do is submit the ticket, I do apologize for that.

on the tv I meant to unplug the actual hdmi cables and plug the cable hdmi cable into the tv where the computer hdmi cable was and the computer hdmi cable in where the cable hdmi cable was. What I mean here is that if the cable box was hdmi 2 and computer was hdmi 1 then I now want computer hdmi into hdmi 2 and cable hdmi into cable 1. This way I can see where the problem is.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK just a second
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, same thing. HDMI is on although input shows cable
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

So now what you should have is that the computer shows on the tv on the other hdmi input, so before it was on hdmi 1 I believe you said and now it would be on hdmi 2 input on the tv, can you confirm?

Where as before the computer showed on input hdmi 1 now it should only show on hdmi 2, please confirm? And to confirm you removed the cables from the back of the tv and swapped them for each other.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now HDMI 2 is on when plugged into computer???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now HDMI is on 2 whether plugged into computer or not???
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Either way HDMI is on when input says cable
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Again, I am willing to pay; both of our times are worth more than this.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This morning one channel (CNN) was on but wouldn't allow me to change
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have I lost you? I switched them again and HDMI 2 is on either way?
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Your tv allows naming of the inputs and thus an hdmi can be named cable if someone named it such.

Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I just wish to confirm that before you had to select hdmi 1 to show the computer on your tv and now you have to select hdmi 2 to show the computer on the tv, is this correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well it wasn't like that last night but if so how do I get my cable tv to work?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I cannot get the tv working either way
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

No, last night it would have been hdmi 1 as you told me the computer was on hdmi 1 and thus I asked you to unplug the hdmi cable from the back of the tv that was for the computer and plug it into the other hdmi input that the cable box was connected to then switch to that hdmi 2 and to then tell me if then the computer shows on hdmi 2 but not hdmi 1, this is very important that you do this for me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did switch them and had the same thing although now HDMI 2 shows either way.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Sorry to mention the same thing again I just need to be sure, so both before and now you can still see your computer on the tv, correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've tried switching, unplugging everything and turning off and on several times... same thing, no cable tv
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HDMI is on when input shows cable tv
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Strange, no?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know you're trying to be helpful but this is getting out of hand. I should talk to someone in support. Like I said, I'm willing to pay to absolve this.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

there are two hdmi inputs, this is why I am getting confused, you keep saying hdmi is on but I need to know is it hdmi 1 or hdmi 2? thanks

Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Also you are saying hdmi is on, what I need to know is your computer image showing on the tv like it should? Not talking about cable right now. thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, computer image is showing when input indicates Cable TV.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Input could very well indicate cable tv because inputs can be named, the true "cable/ant" input if selected you would see that shown which would mean the incorrect source/input is selected. So this is why I need to know when you go to change inputs as I explained can you select hdmi 1 and hdmi 2 from the input list? And when you do the computer image is shown?

I do apologize if I am confused as the way I read your reply to me is that hdmi 1 nor 2 input is selected but that you have selected cable/tv input and it is showing the computer. Sorry If I misunderstood.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Same thing when I switch the cable itself back and forth from the computer to the tv although now there's no HDMI***** only HDMI 2
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it doesn't allow me to choose. It only used to change whether it was hooked to computer or not.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Where as before when the computer was in hdmi 1 it showed hdmi 1 and NOT hdmi 2, correct?

Ok, that means the tv only allows you to select from connected sources.

This last question I have above should be the last I need to help me

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't see anywhere else to hook into in either computer or tv which is why I unhooked and switched the cable between them
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
that is correct, now it is only HDMI*****
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I thought you stated cable was on hdmi 2 and computer was on hdmi 1, so what you are saying is that you only use one cable and you swap it between them depending on which you want to use?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I only swapped because I thought you asked me to... never had to before, only had to use input button.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now I only get HDMI 2 with cable tv or computer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
As of last night I could get 1 or 2
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

ok, I just wanted to be sure. Yes there are two hdmi's one of them is on the bottom and the other one is on the side. Either way it seems what you have done is enough for me, you have stated that before it showed hdmi 1 and then after I had you swap it now shows hdmi 2, this means your tv is working just fine, this would be like disconnecting your computer from tv and only having the cable box attached with making sure cable box is turned on it would then show, if not like it seems to be this suggests that either the cable box resolution is incompatible (current settings) or a failure of the cable box, in some cases (which I think you stated you have already done) you can unplug the cable box which would reset it. When still not working checking hdmi cable is firmly and correctly in the cable box and that it is turned on, if still not working then try it in another room/tv to confirm and then contact cable company for a replacement (generally its fairly easy as they send a replacement or you can usually swap it out at one of their locations).

Thanks,

Joe

Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Correct and that would make sense if the cable box has no video out to the tv, the way I had you do things was hdmi 1 was computer and it worked so I had you swap to hdmi 2 this also then worked which means there are no problems with your tv which is a good thing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I misunderstood about the cable. Now the tv shows no signal and HDMI is correct although it shows*****still.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

What did you just change/do? This way I can be sure to understand.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still shows 'something on right' when input says cable tv and HDMI is correct except it still shows HDMI 2 whether hooked to computer or not
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I changed the cable from the bottom to the side and what was in the side to the bottom
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Before the computer was connected to hdmi 1 and you stated it would show on the tv, I then had you change the computer input on the tv to go into the hdmi 2 input which was the cable box and you then said on the tv it showed hdmi 2 and it showed the computer.

So now if you use the remote and select hdmi 1 for the input does it then show the computer image?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I originally thought you wanted me to switch between tv and computer.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I did, at least in terms of the two different hdmi inputs on the tv. And I thought that you did exactly that by swapping the cable instead.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It will not allow me to go to HDMI*****
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did both switching the cable from tv to computer and then switching from bottom to side
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Still HDMI 2 shows either way
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it shows 'something on right' when on tv
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not quite right I meant
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
HDMI still works fine but only goes 2 and not 1 no matter what I do. It used to change from 1 to 2 when I hooked to computer or not. Not any longer.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

so wherever the computer is connected to right now on the tv the tv tv is showing the computer image on the tv, correct?

If so now connect the cable box to that exact input the computer is plugged into and see if the cable box then works?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the box instead of the tv itself?
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

from your computer to your tv you have an hdmi cable and from your cable box you have an hdmi cable, right now your computer hdmi cable is connected to the tv, please dissconnect that and take the cable box hdmi cable and connect it right where the computer hdmi cable was just connected

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now I'm confused. I unhooked the cable from the box and plugged into the computer. Now I'm not getting tv or HDMI
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
But the box isn't hooked to the tv anymore, correct?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yet the input button will change but nothing comes of it other than no signal
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I want your cable box connected to the tv via hdmi, please do this on hdmi 1 and hdmi 2 and let me know the results

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, that's how it was but I reconnected box to tv and same thing... 'somethings not right' on tv and HDMI will only show 2 no matter what input I place whether plugged into computer or not
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

ok, and doing the same with the computer instead, will result in computer showing on hdmi 1 and hdmi 2?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, only HDMI 2. I cannot find HDMI 1 no matter what I do
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wasn't like this last night
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We've been on this over 4 hours now! Why can't I speak to someone. You said you were going to have support call me and I agreed to pay.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do about that no matter what I would like to do all I can do is submit the ticket and they then should reach out to you. There's no way for me to speed up that process.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I understand as long as you submitted it.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

hdmi 1 is the same as hdmi 2 it is just the 2nd hdmi input on the tv, one is on the bottom and one on the side. You told me when we first started that it only showed hdmi 1 and now your saying only hdmi 2, so I am just trying to understand correctly.

Let me explain it this way, lets say you only have 1 hdmi input on that tv (hypothetically speaking) , so when you have the computer connected the computer image shows on the tv as you stated but when you connect the cable box to that same hdmi input that the computer works on the cable box does not work?

I promise you I sent in the ticket explaining the issue with the phone call.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is correct but now only 2 shows either way
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it showed 1 and 2, now only 2
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Never only just 1. Sorry to confuse you.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

That's ok, what is important here is that if the computer is connected and working via hdmi cable and you use that exact same hdmi cable to connect your cable box to that exact same input and the cable box does not show on the tv then there is a problem with the cable box and not the tv.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How can the cable box connect to the tv if it is connected to the computer? I'm more confused than ever!
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

Why is your cable box connected to your computer?

What I am saying is disconnect the hdmi cable from the computer and plug it into the cable box, this then means if the computer was showing on the tv that now the cable box would and if not then there is a failure of the cable box...

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks, I'm returning the box. Appreciate all your efforts. God bless and safe journeys.
Expert:  Joe replied 2 months ago.

My pleasure, you should be contacted about the phone call and then if you are still having problems I will be more than happy to give you a call once that problem has been resolved. I apologize I wasn't able to call you instead today.

Thank you!

- Joe