Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

The USB port on my TV (A Samsung Smart TV) has stopped

The USB port on my TV (A Samsung Smart TV) has stopped working. I don`t know if I have done anything with the remote or not. I am 83 years old
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It is about 7 years old and yes I tried unplugging and leaving it off for awhile but it didn`t help.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu works fine and there are no other problems
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: In the last 48 hours. but I hadn`t used the USB port for awhile. I recently turned on the HUB but decided it was too technical for me.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

What is the model of the tv?
What is it you are trying to do via the usb port?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The model number is ***** I was trying to play a movie I have recorded on a memory stick
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
correct
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
ok

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

Alternately, you could hook up an external media player or bluray player to the tv that has a usb port, and play content through it.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news,

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thankyou.