Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Nothing for our 10 year old Panasonic except 7 red blinking

Nothing for our 10 year old Panasonic except 7 red blinking lights, is this the kiss of death as we read and will not come on.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 10 years, model number TH-42PZ80 A
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: will check, sorry to hold you up
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: No we cant get anything except 7 flashing red lights, we had to get a man in this last week was o.k. up until now, he said he would have to take it away if it happened again.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It is 10 yrs. old we have just moved a month ago a few streets away in Goulburn and wondered if it may have caused something , dont know how long t.v. s last thought 10 years may be it

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty su/sd/sc board, or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).
This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is at double its service life at this point and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.