Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

My Panasonic TV Model TH-60AS800A turns on for a fraction of

Customer Question

Hello John. My Panasonic TV Model TH-60AS800A turns on for a fraction of a second then turns off. This what I emailed to Panasonic back in September 2016 when the TV was 18 months old. "Turned TV on with remote. Then pressed OK to go to full screen. TV then turned itself off. Remote now does not operate any function at all. Red light now flashes every 3 seconds or so. Tried turning off and on at power point and the TV comes on again for a fraction of a second and then turns off. At the same time the light on the TV changes to green for a short time then back to intermittent red when it turns off."
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Panasonic? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Model TH-60AS800A Serial No. MN4410029 purchased January 2015. Problem first appeared September 2016 and I was able to play with the remote to temporarily fix it. It has now gone off and can't be started again.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Started September 2016 and been happening on and off since then. By turning on and off I was able to overcome this problem but now can't fix
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet
2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)
3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.
If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

Since the warranty has passed, replacement may actually make more sense though. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the under $1000 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a xxxx model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising.

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $300 range.

My apologies for the news.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session – this is the only way I am credited for my work.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so, if more help is needed.