Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My sony's hd signal light came on. Its orange and it turns

My sony's hd signal light came on. Its orange and it turns the tv off
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Sony. KdL-40z5100
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: All of the hdmi connections cause the same issue. We have a cable box and an amazon fire connected. I have tried all hdmi ports. Yes the menu works
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Started today. Dont know if anything popped up
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. That would be all

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you

Offhand, if the issue occurs with any HDMI input you select- that would point to a Mainboard issue with the TV (where all of these cables connect). However, first try a couple of reboots- which are both tests and attempts at a fix.

Unplug the TV's power cord and remove the HDMI cable from the cable box to TV. Disconnect the Amazon Fire and then plug it back in, but leave the cable box disconnected. Plug the TV power cord back in and turn the set on- does it shut off? If no, then repeat those steps and this time only plug the cable box in and see if the TV stays on.

Let me know how you make out as this gives me information on what's causing it.

Does the TV stay on with only the Fire connected?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the tv stays on with the fire, however the orange "hd signal" light is on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The cablw boz stays on as well however the orange light is on again.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cable box

Hmm, okay. Please try a hard reset of the TV next. Basically the same steps, except after it's unplugged form power, remove both HDMI sources- then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 12 full seconds then release.

Wait a minute, then reconnect both HDMI sources to the set- plug it back in, and turn it on and select one. Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the tv supposed to do anything after i hold the power. Button down for 12 seconds? Is the tv supposed to be off when i do the hard reset?

No it's not supposed to do anything, this drains current from within the TV. Also, the TV is supposed to be unplugged during this- so yes it would be off.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
everything seems to be working just fine. If the problem persists then maybe look into a new tv?

Great, and I'm glad to hear that. This would point to a glitch, or a fault occurring with it's Mainboard. If the issues persists, you're generally looking at between $250-$275 to have the mainboard replaced, so in that case I would suggest looking for new, instead of repairing this set.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok perfect. Thabk you for your help. You have been great!

You're welcome, and thank you! If satisfied with my efforts, could you please click a positive rating by scrolling at the top of the page? That's how I'm paid by the site for my work.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok will do! Thabks again!

You're welcome and best of luck with the TV.