Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

A recorded voice comes on and says "hdmi att" about every 5

Customer Question

A recorded voice comes on and says "hdmi att" about every 5 minutes
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And have you done any troubleshooting yourself?
Customer: 2016 ultra hd 4k
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Just on the tv, cable channels. The tv menu works, but we haven't found anything on sound settings
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing happened that we know of, 4 weeks
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Can you get me the model number off of the back of the TV and also tell me what BRAND the set is?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Samsung, un65ks8500f
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thank you- it appears our replies crossed.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I also need to know a few more things:

1) Has the TV done this since day one?

2) Any other devices connected (DVD, etc.) that this issue does NOT occur with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No.
Yes, DVD and does not occur.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Thanks. Sounds like an ATT issue with their box- since your TV has no way of knowing you have an ATT box (you could have any provider out there and your TV would only know it's getting signal from an HDMI cable- NOT whom your cable provider is).

Please try a reboot of your ATT box as follows:

1) Shut the TV off and then unplug the ATT box from power (unplug its power cord).

2) Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends- making sure it's secure.

3) Plug the Uverse box back in and give it a minute to start booting up, then turn your TV on.

I realize the box will take some time to reboot, and you said that message only came up every 5 minutes or so- so check and see if the issue still occurs, and reply back when able.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We had a cable out and he said not a att cable problem. He said he has seen this before on same model and couldn't find the remedy
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Well, I've heard cable guys say all sorts of things. Did you try the reboot yet? Also what was his explanation for the TV somehow "Knowing" that ATT is connected to it? It's not possible unless you programmed ATT into the source settings.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Att shows up as a source on TV when you go to home, along with Netflix, amazon and others. Cable replaced box and disconnected hdmi cable and reconnected