Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I own a Samsung TV Model No. LNS5296, Yes, Menu works...the

Customer Question

I own a Samsung TV Model No. LNS5296
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: Yes
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works...the trouble I am having is the cable box does not adopt to the correct resolution as it did before so now I can only watch Standard or High Definition but not both.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About a week...previously I was able to watch both standard & high density
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The cable TV technician tried to adjust it, he even changed the cable box..but the problem still exists
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Please elaborate what happens when you try to watch both- does the screen go black? I have no way of knowing what you're seeing here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot watch both...either standard or high density..I have a high density channel now & get a perfect picture but if I change to a standard I get a blank screen & a message that says-
not supported mode.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Okay, I understand. This directly indicates a fault in your TV's Mainboard (which is the board that processes the different resolutions, picture formats and AV input signals). That said there are no pushbutton fixes for this, and it requires replacement of this board to fix the issue. That part (Samsung BN94-01107A (BN97-01206A) is showing as out of stock through all of the vendors we use due to the age of the set, and the only option would be a used/pulled part which some TV repair shops have access to. Offhand the average cost for this repair is in the $250-$300 range (which is bad news I realize). If you'd like to have the set repaired, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Alternatively, if you or someone you know is a DIY type and comfortable removing the back of the TV- the board IS "plug and play" (meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it). In that case- let me know and I will search for a link where you can purchase the part.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I'm finding one used/pulled at the l ink below for just over $115 with a noted defect of slight rust on the tuner module, but perfect working order. If you want to repair the set and save over $150 on what a shop would charge, then you can purchase the mainboard (AV processor board) at the link below for your set)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-52-LNS5296DX-XAA-BN94-01107A-Main-Video-Board-Motherboard-Discount-/361779305385?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Again, the mainboard losing it's ability to process SD and HD signal simultaneously (which you've determined since you already had the cable box swapped out) is a processor failure. There aren't any settings in the MENU to cause/fix this. So if you want to repair the fault- the board above is what needs to be swapped.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I was wondering if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.