Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have a 42 inch Samsung tv. The color is not coming in good.

Customer Question

Have a 42 inch Samsung tv. The color is not coming in good. It is blue,pink and white. The sound and everything else is good. Can you help me?
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: It is about 14 years old. I have not unpluged it and leaving it off. However I did leave it off for a week while out of town. It was fine before I left but this occurred when I returned
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menu works and it occurs on allchannels
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The only thing I turned it off for a week and when I turned it on this color problem occurred
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is the only thing. The problem with the color
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Is there any chance you can get me the model number off of the back of the Samsung?

Also, what sources are connected to the set (cable/SAT box, DVD, etc.)?

When did the color change, was it all at once or gradually?

Lastly, when you pull up the Samsung MENU- is the color bad on the MENU image as well?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The model # is LN40A450C1D. My DVD is connected and the color changed all at once. The color is also bad on the Menu page.
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

So, to clarify the color is bad on DVD as well as regular TV programming, AND the MENU is affected? If so, this is nothing that can be corrected via any settings or adjustments- since the TV's native MENU supersedes all those settings, and if it's own color is affected this indicates a hardware failure in the set. More specifically, the LCD controller board (T-con) is faulty and would need to be replaced. Given the average cost for this repair on your set is in the $200 range (additionally new parts have not been made for this set in roughly 8 years), it would not be a cost effective endeavor to repair it. A brand new 40" LED Smart TV could be purchased for about the same price, and would be money better spent.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?