Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

My 52" flat screen TV goes on and off when I turn it on in

Customer Question

My 52" flat screen TV goes on and off when I turn it on in the morning. It keeps getting worse. It never fully comes on. I have DirectTV as my cable provider.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a Samsung, I am not at my home so I don't have a model #. I would say it is about 8 to 9 yrs old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: When it eventually stays on, everything works great.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for about 1 to 2 weeks. I can't thing of anything that happened right before this started.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 2 months ago.

This is likely some components on the power board wearing out but just to be sure please try this:

-unplug the tv POWER cord from the wall outlet.
-press and hold the power button on the tv (not remote) for 20 seconds and release.
-plug in the tv power cord and turn on.

-Test for normal operation.

If that does not work then unfortunately there is not going to be any easy reset/fix. The tv needs diagnosis, parts, and service.

As an experienced technician, theoretically I could help you with the repairs but if you do not have the needed skills and tools then having it repaired by a local shop is your best option. I can help you with that too, just provide your zip code.

Despite the bad news, I hope you appreciate the answer that I provided so far. If you need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option.

Please submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are not sure about giving me 5 stars, please tell me how I can possibly change that!

Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks