Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

My westinghouse 43 inch tv goes into freeze mode when i turn

Customer Question

My westinghouse 43 inch tv goes into freeze mode when i turn it on all it shows is the w logo then only way to turn it off is if i unplug the tv
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: The model number is *****
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The tv only turns on nothing else works on it
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It just happened today I was playing a video game with one of my daughters then i turned everything off to go get my other daughter when i got back home all tge tv did was show the w logo
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need help to try to unfreeze the tv
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Offhand, this set will freeze with the W startup screen due to the Mainboard failing (these symptoms are the same across all brand and model of flat screen). The Mainboard contains the processor which allows the set to bootup past this logo- and display external Inputs (AV from Cable/SAT/DVD,etc.). That said, in many cases this occurs when cables are plugged in while the set is turned ON (which is not recommended in any way). This likely requires replacement of the Mainboard in the set.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Are you able to get any response from the set beyond the W logo please? Also how old is this set roughly (over or under a year from the date of purchase)?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

If you're still having the same problem, and the set is over a year from the date of purchase (out of warranty), then there are two ways to go about fixing this. One is to purchase the Mainboard (which is $50 at the link below) and replace it yourself. It is a "plug and play" part- meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it- however the rear of the TV must be removed to access it:

http://www.tvpartspro.com/products/westinghouse-main-power-supply-board-st6308rtu-ap1-we-m15106-890-m00-07n16

Alternatively, if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge $175-$200 parts and labor for this repair and can be located using the link below:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.