Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I purchased new AV equipment: 1) Sony DVD/CD (BDP-S6700) and

Customer Question

I purchased new AV equipment: 1) Sony DVD/CD (BDP-S6700) and 2) Amazon Fire TV (2nd Generation) and use HDMI cables to run into my Pioneer AV Receiver VSX-72TXV & Pioneer Elite TV Display System (PRO-1130HD); both Pioneer's are about 9-10 years old. The new Sony & Fire are HDMI connected to the VSX 2 HDMI Inputs w/ VSX HDI Output to PRO Input 3. This as allowed me to use video/audio benefits of the VSX w/ surround sound. In the past it has transmitted video and audio w/o issue. However with the newer Sony & Fire the audio works but video is not communicating with the PRO TV. Do you have any ideas why this is occurring my older DVD and Roku communicated w/o issue however the newer Sony DVD (replacingg my older Pioneer DVD) and Fire (replacing the Roku do not work? Help?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Sony? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The new Sony DVD/CD is BDP-6700.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: The Sony DVD/CD and Fire were X-Mas presents. So the problem started then. I keep switching the connections. At one time I connected the Sony DVDAV receiver. direct to the TV and I go video but no sound ; this step bypassed the VSV
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No , I think that's my problem in a nutshell
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank You
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I'd like to wait for your answer via text or internet before I proceed to invest additional funds. My set up is in a cabinet and its difficult for me to maneuver around the components. I would like to find out if I have a compatibility issue with the older Pioneer Equipment and the new Sony DVD and Amazon Fire?
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

You can ignore any automated offers that may pop up - they are sent automatically by the site.

Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

I suspect the newer devices are not compatible with the resolution of your older Pioneer equipment.

This is a common problem when using Fire TV, Apple TV, etc with older displays.

You could try connecting them to a newer TV or monitor to get into their settings, and reduce the resolution setting, then connect them to the Pioneer equipment.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
When I connected the new Sony DVD direct to the Pioneer TV monitor the video came through but when I switched the Sony back to the Pioneer AV Receiver which in turn is connected to the Pioneer TV monitor it did not work. Issue seems to be the Pioneer AV Receiver?
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Are you familiar w/ Pioneer AV Receiver VSX-72TXV?
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

I am not familiar with that particular model, but I am with similar Pioneer receivers.

What happens if you connect the Fire TV direct to the monitor? Can you access the resolution settings on it and try a lower setting, then try connecting it to the receiver to prove it works ok there?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I haven't yet tried with the manipulating the Fire connections. I got to frustrated when changing the Sony DVD connections. I'll give it a try but it may take me some time. Not sure I can get back to you in time as I'm rather slow at the connections and as I said its difficult maneuvering in my Media cabinet. Thank You
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

That's fine, you can just reply back here whenever it suits!

I am going off in an hour, and I will be back again in 7 hours time.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thanks for the lead. You'll probably hear from me when you get back. Thanks again
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Ok, great!

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hooked Fire direct to TV monitor and it also (video) worked but no audio. So when I go direct from Sony to Pioneer TV monitor and Fire to Pioneer TV monitor, video works. I lose audio and most notably surround sound which is the benefit of the Pioneer VSX AV Receiver - this sucks!
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Ok, do you have access to a newer TV that you can try?

Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Or actually, press the Up and Rewind buttons on your Amazon Fire TV remote at the same time for 5 seconds.

The Fire TV system will then cyclesthrough available output resolutions, pausing at each resolution for 10 seconds. If you see the correct resolution, select Use Current Resolution.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No really. The Pioneer TV is a 50" Plasma and I have it built into the cabinet in the family room. My other TVs are Samsung but are downstairs in separate bedrooms. Looks like I need some kind of connector / converter to the Pioneer AV Receiver so the signal will pass through the Receiver - convert signal - and run to the TV Monitor? I think I'm stuck with a, exuse the language, screwed up system.
Expert:  Pete replied 15 days ago.

Can you try presssing the Up and Rewind buttons on your Amazon Fire TV remote at the same time for 5 seconds.

Expert:  Pete replied 12 days ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.