Ronald Brock
Ronald Brock,
Experience:  Contractor for Time Warner Cable at The Fenix Group
92542053

I am trying to activate a (Time Warner Cable) Cisco Digital

Customer Question

I am trying to activate a (Time Warner Cable) Cisco Digital Adapter to my Samsung UN40J520DAF TV. I have connected the HDMI cable to the HDMI input and, using "source" on the remote, selected HDMI as my input source as directed. The adapter instructions further state that, to activate the adapter, using the TV remote I need to tune to the HDMI and I will see an activation screen with TWC's contact number. I have not received an activation number (or any picture other than snow). Since I initially selected HDMI as my input source do I need to tune to an HDMI (output?) again and, if so, how do I do it? Thanks for your help.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Samsung UN40J520D AFXZA. Per the Cisco Digital Transport HDA-RF2.2 adapter instructions provided by Time Warner Cable with the adapter, I have (1) connected the adapter to the cable outlet with a coax cable (2) attached the cable to the "Cable in" input on the back of the adaptor (3) connected the HDMI cable to the "HDMI output" on the adapter (4) connected the other end of the HDMI cable to the "HDMI 1 input" on the back of the TV (5) set the TV to HDMI as input source (by using the source button I selected HDMI I) and, (5) connected the power cord to the input adapter. As indicated, the green light on the front of the adapter is blinking. The instructions further say that, if a picture appears, I am activated. Since no picture appeared, the instructions further tell me to tune to the HDMI and I will see an activation screen. I do not have an activation screen. Since I selected HDMI initially, do I need to tune to it again as an output source? If so, how do I do this?
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: While the on-line e-manual for the 5 series tells me to go to the Menu button on my remote and select input, then select HDMI as my source, my Menu screen does not contain this option. To select HDMI as my source with my remote I hit the "source" button and then select "HDMI l", which is what I did. The screen shows HDMI at the top but I have no picture or activation screen, only snow. I looked at the on-screen e-manual for my set and do not see how I can tune to the HDMI output - I only see reference to selecting HDMi as my source by using the "Source" button. Are there separate HDMI input and output selections? How can I set my TV to connect to the adapter so that I can receive cable TV?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Brand new TV. First time trying to connect to cable through the adapter. Had no such trouble with an earlier Samsung smart TV when I was required to attach it to the same type adapter @ 2 years ago. My trouble then, and I assume will be with this TV as well, was finding the right code for the TV after activating the adapter. Right now I cannot access the activation screen on the TV.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Cannot think of anything at this moment. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

- Are you sure the HDMI-1 input of TV is functional?

- Can you verify it by hooking another video source/ device such as DVD/bluray player into HDMI-1 input of TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do not have another device to hook-up to the TV which I can access now.. I also tried the HDMI 2 port on the TV to no effect.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

OK, do you have another HDMI cable to try it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could not find a spare HDMI cable. Would have to pull out my tv/home theatre system from cabinet to get to tha HDMI cables-would take some time. The HDMI cable supplied with the adapter is new. I can try to get it tomorrow if needed. Meanwhile, Assuming the cable is OK, can you give me any further answer to my questions?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

We can't move further until you get picture on TV screen with code, you may please continue it at later time with another HDMI cable or hooking the home theater system to TV. Let me repost the question and another available expert will assist you further. I'm opting out to repost the question.

Thanks.

Expert:  Ronald Brock replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** Ill help you with your questions. Just so you are aware, I am a Time Warner Technician as well, so I should be able to get you thru things. Can you please tell me, are you getting any sort of picture at all when you hook up your box? also what model of cable box are you trying to hook up? is it a small basic cable adapter or a HD cable box?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is a small Cisco "digital transport adapter" for my second TV. My main TV is hooked to a TWC Atlantic DVR. I am getting no picture at all on my second TV. I have even tried to use the coax cable to connect with the adapter and still get no picture. With the HDMI cable I get a dark screen with snow except that it shows HDMI at the top left of the screen and the time and date at the top right. I do get a picture when I disconnect the adapter, change the source to antennae, and use an external antennae.
OK if you've tried to hook up with all available connections, HDMI and coax and both are not giving you a picture, it's entirely possible that you have a bad box. 90 percent of cable boxes are refurbished and some bad ones slip thru the cracks from time to time. If you have a local Time Warner office, you can take the box in and let them know that the box does not give you a picture on the outputs and they should be able to swap it for you.
If you want a tech to come out and do it, you could call TWC and tell them, they will have you go thru troubleshooting then schedule an appointment so it could be a few days for the tech to get out and swap it so it all depends on how long you want to wait on it being repaired.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went to TWC and got a replacement adapter. It worked on first try. Thanks for your help.

Not a problem I'm happy to help! if you have any other questions feel free to reply to this post if not I would ask that you take a few minutes to give me a positive rating as that is how I am compensated for my time on this site. Thanks again!!

If there are no further questions, can you please give me a rating on how my service was in answering your question. We are independent technicans and we are compensated by our customers ratings. Thanks again!