Mike G.
Mike G., Technician
Experience:  10 Years Audio Video Repair & Setup
24542549

I have a 65 inch Samsung DLP TV, replaced the lamp, the

Customer Question

I have a 65 inch Samsung DLP TV, replaced the lamp, the green indicators blink as the tv is powering up then tv comes on and indicator shuts off (no red or green indicator). The tv was working then the lamp blew. Thought it may have been a defective (aftermarket) lamp so we ordered a new Samsung lamp, replaced the lamp had the same experience with indicator lights and smelled something "burning," shut the TV off and am looking for advice on what the problem is and how to fix it.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: the TV is an 1080P HD about 12-13 years old (approximately 2004. It was unplugged the whole time we waited for the new lamp (days).
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menus works and it happens on multiple sources
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I initially thought the lamp was the problem so I replaced it. It blew within an hour or two. This time once I smelled "burning" I shut it down to not blow the lamp again.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: The TV (picture) also shuts down randomly and I needed to turn it back on again. this happened a few times.
Category: TV
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I am the technician assigned to help you and I will do my best to provide you with excellent service. I have been helping people like you on this site since 2009, which supports my livelihood. Every moment that I am helping you is on the honor system, until you submit a positive 3-5 star rating when I provide your answer.

I see you were chatting with the site's automated response system. Now that you are talking to a real technician, please reply asap so that I know you are ready to proceed.

Can you please get the full model number off the back of the tv?

Where did you buy the new lamp and how much did it cost?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Are you having website difficulties that are preventing you from replying?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bought it from amazon it is a Samsung lamp not aftermarket payed about $100, I will get you the model number in a minute.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Model number is *****
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Thanks.

Can you please describe your level of experience with electronics repair?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have replaced lamps, and can follow instruction for whatever its worth I have a mechanical engineering degree. I would say 4 or 5 on a 10 scale.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Besides the lamp, has the tv ever been serviced?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
maybe once while under warranty but it was a long time ago
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
might have been the color wheel.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

So the tv will run and has picture/sound but YOU are shutting it off because you smell something? is that correct? or is the tv shutting itself off?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it has shut itself off, while running it has no indicator lights on although while it is powering up two green lights are flashing. I did unplug it and shut it off once I smelled the burn
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

So at this point the entire back has to come off the tv. Probably need to blow it out real good with compressed air. Then inspect all the boards/wires for anything that looks burnt.

If you don't see anything visual then you will need to tape down the lamp door switch and plug in the tv power cord. Observe and listen as the tv tries to power on. There should be clicking, buzzing, fans, etc. then the lamp should fire up.

If any of that is not happening, the real hard part comes where you have to test voltages while the tv is trying to turn on. This gets complex, not something that we can teach you and I suggest you use a local repair shop, which I can help with also.

I hope the answer I provided so far satisfactory. If you do need more help or don't understand something use the REPLY option.

Please submit a 3 to 5 star rating at the top of this page now so that I am recognized for helping with your question. If you are not sure about giving me 5 stars, please tell me how I can possibly change that!

Rating does not close your question or prevent future replies which are at no additional cost. The longer you wait to submit a rating, the less chance I will receive recognition.

Thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am thinking it best to service the TV and have a couple of questions:
1. Is it worth fixing? The picture is fine I am happy with the TV but are problems likely to keep coming at me based on age?
2. How much will it cost to trouble shoot?
3. How do I find the right person to service the tv?
4. Are parts so expensive that I should buy a new tv?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a (or more than one) capacitor in the TV?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Total cost to fix the tv will be $300-$450.

Typically repair shops charge $99 up front just for diagnosis (to hand you an estimate).

I can help you find a servicer if you give me your zip code.

Due to the age of this tv, I would actually take all the money you saved by coming here, and get a replacement that comes with a fresh warranty.

Many many more than one capacitor.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If I fix this problem its likely to have other I assume that's why you suggest a new tv?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Yes. These tvs have lots of moving parts and circuits:

lamps every 3-4 years.

color wheel every 7-8 years.

FANS every 9-10 years.

electronic boards/components unknown

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The TV was getting hot could this be a fan / overheating issue?
Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

It's normal for this tv to get hot. The lamp generates the most heat, then there is the dlp chip.

No way to guess based on external symptoms. As I explained:

The entire back has to come off the tv. Probably need to blow it out real good with compressed air. Then inspect all the boards/wires for anything that looks burnt.

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Was there something else?

Are you having website difficulties with submitting the star ratings?

Expert:  Mike G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello, just checking back in to see if you still need help, or perhaps you would like to acknowledge that my time and input has been helpful?