Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Moved my 51F710A downstairs. Did not drop tv at all, went to

Customer Question

moved my 51F710A downstairs. Did not drop tv at all, went to plug it back in, and nothing. Will not turn on anything at the main switch on front of tv.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Has had no issues turning it on at all. It is a Hitachi 51F710A.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I get absolutely nothing at all. It doesn't turn on tv at all, either using remote or the main switch in the front of tv.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This is the 1st issue of any kind with this tv. We moved the tv down 4 stairs to our family room.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about all.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2005 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a CRT based tv this set is significantly past its service life and this technology is long obsolete, this was one of the last models made.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $400 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $400 range.

I can help you with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options, if desired.

My apologies for the news.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK, I'll try it.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** of luck to you!