Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

A lot. Sometimes a black screen. Sometimes a and pink

Customer Question

A lot. Sometimes a black screen. Sometimes a green and pink psychedelic screen. Sometimes sound disappears. Have to turn off TV and box, then turn back on and it's ok. Have Time Warner. Never did this with Fios.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Vizio Razor flatscreen. About 5 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works. Only use this source - cable to watch TV.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This started about a month ago. Only change was with cable provider. Switched from Frontier to TWC.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Waiting the 10 min. Will be hard to tell if it helps because the problems are so irratic. Sometimes I can watch all night with no problem. The next day, screen goes black or green twice per hour. (Or no sound) So I may need to watch for a day or so to determine if restart helps.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

No problem, please take your time and reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a 5 star rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, just finished reboot and turned it back on. Will let you know and rate after watching for awhile. Thanks!
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Sure, have nice time~

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay, today had problems even after reboot. Screen went half black and sort of fluttered. Did it twice within 15 minutes of watching.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Sorry to hear that, half black and sort of fluttered screen looks TV internal issue and we need to verify it.

Please connect a DVD or bluray player to this TV and playback a disc, does TV show same problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have played several DVD disks the last few days. No problems at all when playing disk. But did have problems last time we were on Netflix - connection kept going down.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

If you were running Netflix app builtin TV then it is TV internal issue. If there is another video source connected to get Netflix video streaming then it is different issue and not related to TV.

So problem mostly occurs on cable channels, correct?
if so, do you have another cable box by chance to switch it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
watching cable channels. We have another TV upstairs with a box. We could try to watch it for awhile and see if it has the same problems?
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Nice, please take this cable box upstairs and hook it to that TV and check if problem moved to other TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** with the result to proceed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No problems using upstairs TV. But still getting weird green and pink screen downstairs. Just switched to plug into HDMi3 plug and will watch today to see it that helps.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, that info will help to move forward in troubleshooting.