Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I just bought a new Vizio TV and my 20 year old DVD/VCR

Customer Question

I just bought a new Vizio TV and my 20 year old DVD/VCR player does not seem to be working correctly with this new TV. Is this common?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model is D48-DO and i bought it in 2016
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works. Actually, what is happening now is the TV is not getting a signal for a VCR tape but the TV does play DVD. However, the movie only appears in black and White.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This is the first time I tried to hook up this DVD/VCR to this TV. The player was always working with my other Vizio TV from about 7-8 years ago.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. I'm reviewing your details now and will reply shortly.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You're on the wrong Video Input setting on the Vizio. Right now you have "Component" selected, and you need to instead be on the "AV/Video" setting.

Cables from the DVD should be: Yellow cable to the "Y'/Video" jack, then red and white to the respective red and white audio jacks. Then TV's "Input" set to "AV" (or Video), NOT the "Component" setting. The component setting is not used with these connections.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen (scroll up the page to get to the STARS). That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Please view my reply for the answer to your query.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is no selection av/video
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

It's either called AV OR Video. So you have no options besides HDMI and Component?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

It would seem the cables are not connected correctly then. Please elaborate- what specific cables are you using and into what specific ports on the TV and the player (describe them please)?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help? The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating by scrolling to the top of the page)? Thanks in advance.