Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I turned it on and it had reverted to local TV. I have it

Customer Question

I turned it on and it had reverted to local TV. I have it hooked up to a Direct TV dish and do not remember how to get back to it. It's puzzling because it reverted on it's own. Worked fine when I left the house and turned it off.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's an LG 32 inch. I'm not sure which number on the label denotes Model. I bought it at Costco here in Mexico.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I have not been able to change to any other source of input.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing. I had an error to run, turned off the set in normal way, came back and turned set on. It had somehow reverted a local channel.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, in the last message I mistyped. Meant errand.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

- Have you tried to unplug TV and cable box power cords from wall outlet for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, let cable box reboot that may take several minutes, press Input button on TV or its remote to select correct video input source and check?
If not yet, please try it now and reply back with the result.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've unplugged, waited, and replugged the Direct TV receiver. Of course I'll never know if and when it has completed it's reboot cycle because I have no way to see it. If I could see it's screen, I would not be having this problem.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your box won't work for my telephone number. I am in Mexico and you require more numbers to call me.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

What input of TV is hooked to cable box?
Is it HDMI-1 or 2

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Did you unplug TV power cord as well as requested in previous reply?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
At the moment it's 2, but I tried it at 1 just a momemt ago.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, Did you unplug TV power cord as well as requested in previous reply?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Unplugged it and left it unplugged for 10 minutes as suggested.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, so still no picture of Directv, correct?

If so, do you have another video device to connect into HDMI input of TV to verify the TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The TV is on and working. It's broadcasting a local station.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

I understand, can you switch it to HDMI-1 or HDMI-2 input by pressing Input button on TV or its remote?

Also, do you have another video device such as DVD/ Bluray player etc to connect it into HDMI input of TV to verify the TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can switch to HDM-1 or 2 using the remote and by switching to that screen. I just do not remember how to switch the TV to the Direct TV Mode or Function and don't quite understand why it chose to switch itself away from that mode.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Ah OK, if HDMI input doesn't get any video signal, TV will not stay on that input and reverts to default input that is TV input so you get local TV channel.

HDMI input needs control signals as well along with video and audio signal of connected device, now we need to verify the TV by hooking another working video source such as DVD or Bluray player etc.

Do you have such thing to connect it to TV as a test to confirm the TV has no issue with HDMI input?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I do have a VCR and a disc player, but don't know how to connect to the tv. Each has three cables, red, white and yellow. The tv has five input connections, 2 red, 1 white, 1 blue, 1 blue and yellow. Makes for confusion. The documentation that came with the set is abysmal.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry, we need a video source that must have HDMI Output to confirm the HDMI Input of TV. VCR and disc player will not serve the purpose.

Lets try different thing, is there another TV available to connect the Directv box into HDMI Input of TV to see if that TV shows picture?