Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I bought`a 4K 55' Lg tv this summer. The sound is terrible

Customer Question

I bought`a 4K 55' Lg tv this summer. The sound is terrible with speakers set underneath set
JA: Has this happened before? And have you tried unplugging your LG and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: I bought a cheap bar speaker and has helped somewhat but still have problems especially with movies.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I don't understand your question?
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Has been a problem since purchase.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just need a solution. Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

To be honest, there is no "solution" to this, the tv speakers are small and underpowered so they simply won't be loud or clear in most situations, especially if you have a large room.

You'll find this to be the case with most all modern flat screen tvs, and as they continue to get thinner and thinner, the problem with sound gets worse.

The only answer here is to supplement the tv with an external soundsystem. All tv manufacturers really expect you to have some external sound system.

The cheap bar speaker you bought is likely little better than the built in ones, again being small and under powered.

If you can tell me a bit more about the size of the room, distance of seating from the tv, etc I can recommend a sound system that would be better suited to your situation.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We sit about 20'-22' from set.Room is 25'x30'.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the info, that makes sense, that is a very large room and long distance from the tv.

You'd be best off with a surround sound type system that would have some speakers back by your listening/seating area, if possible.

There are a lot of options here, from smaller wireless systems to full scale home theater/surround systems.

If you have the ability to run wiring from the front of the room to rear speakers, or even to have recessed speakers installed in the walls/ceilings that is ideal, though of course costs more but gives the best results. Would either of these interest you?