Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I have a Samsung 4K TV (UN55KS8500). I have the TV connected

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 4K TV (UN55KS8500). I have the TV connected via optical cable to the one-box connection device. I have fibre optic TV (50 gigabytes per second download speed). Whe I am watching a DVD or netflix (via the TV internet connection or via my TV connection) I see juddering (on average twice per hour). By "juddering" I mean that the image skips or jumps - as if you were watch a film and someone spliced the first and last frame of an 18 frame clip. My TV software is up-to-date (as of yesterday) and I have top of the line cables connecting my DVD player (also a Samsung UBDK8500). I do not know why I am having this problem - but I should not be having this problem at all. Can you please advise/help? Thank you.
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: My Samsung is 7 months old. No, I have not tried unplugging it.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the TV menu works. No, I do not have this problem when watching just the TV via my TV service provider. The problem is primarily with DVDs and when I use the Samsung TV to connect via the internet to Netflix.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This has been an issue almost form the first time I watched TV. I has taken a very long time to get this resolved - hence my outreach to you.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: There is one other problem. I have a sound bar that is connected to the TV and my other devices. I was able to get clear and good sound from the soundbar when watching movies on Nextflix using my Samsun TV connection to the Internet. A few days ago I was advised to reset the TV (I did) and in this process I had to re-enter all the data (postal code etc.) Once I did this the sound from the sound bar was horrible when I watched Netflix - the sound I heard was like an airplane engine. No actual voice or music was discernible. I have no idea what happened.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 2 months ago.

There's 3 separate devices that can cause your problem -- Netflix, your DVD player OR the TV.

It sounds like you reset your TV, but that DVD/Netflix juddering points MORE to the DVD causing both and possibly affecting the Audio problem too.

I'd start with resetting the DVD player...then the TV to see if the juddering disappears. Also turn off any energy saver or video enhancement settings specifically on your TV set only, as I have seen those cause problems with numerous customers.

Here is the DVD reset procedure -

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/iframe/pop_troubleshooting_fr.jsp?idx=573263&modelname=UBD-K8500&modelcode=UBD-K8500/ZA

That should clear out any issues you have with picture and sound, if it doesn't reset the TV, and see if the DVDs still cause juddering. Lastly see if Netflix is still causing problems and if so call Netflix and have them reset your Netflix account.