Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Sony 40inch TV. The power light does not show on

Customer Question

I have a Sony 40inch TV. The power light does not show on standby to enable the TV come up if you press the power button or the remote power button. What can be done.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am still waiting for guidelines to solve the problem
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Do you have a multimeter available to take some test readings?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i do have a multimeter
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i live in Nigeria
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Ok, can you test the voltage outputs from the power supply board and let me know what they are?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, i will get back to you soon.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
oh my light is off. I will need to go get fuel for my Gen. to enable me check the voltage.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Ok.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi, just checking in on your question. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press submit so I am credited for my time, otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am having issue with my multimeter, it got burnt on the process of getting the voltage from the board though it's my own mistake, i left on ohms while testing DC voltage. I am making arrangement to get another one, please exercise a little patient.thanks.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Ok :)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello Pete, i have gotten a multimeter, at what point should i test for the voltages and also remember i said i bought a brand new pcb.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
A brand new pcb from China through Ebay.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, you are not online, let me know when you come on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i am still waiting. Time difference is our major problem here.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

Can you check standby 3.3V DC output on power supply board connector that goes to main board of TV?

3.3V would be stamped near the connector.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The 3.3V is not always available. When it's available, it will fluctuate to up to 37V
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
on the old power board, it is not available at all while the new board i bought from Ebay is the one fluctuating.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

This is odd reading, set your voltmeter to DC Volt range and measure DC 3.3V at pin-3 at connector CN6200 of power supply board, these volts should be constant.

If volts is available and no standby/ power light solid or blink on TV front then replace the main board of TV which isn't working and causing the problem. I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what i have here is CN6402 which has the DC 3.V at pin 3 fluctuating. This is the new power supply board i from China through Ebay.com. Does it mean the board is bad? or rather which one is the main board of TV(the one with HDMI plugs with audio input and output) i need to know.
thank,
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Its OK, unplug CN6402 and check 3.3V DC which would be available all the time when plug TV power cord in.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the 3.3V DC is available on pin 3
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Is the 3.3V stable/ constant?

If so, replug CN6402 and again check 3.3V that should stay stable/ constant.

If volt goes low/ high that means main board is bad and should be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where and how can i get the main board. I live in Nigeria West Africa. Meanwhile let me plug it back and read the voltage.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

I'm afraid I have no idea about market in Nigeria and you would need to contact Sony service center in Nigeria to get replacement main board, if required.

Expert:  Shahid replied 1 month ago.

Do you need any further assistance with this question?