Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Screen is turning purple and, was watching a dvd when this

Customer Question

Screen is turning purple and green, was watching a dvd when this 1st happened. Then turned to cable and same thing, it goes in and out, screen appears normal, then does that gets worse and then goes back.
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: It's about 5 years old, LG 55 L W6500
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Menu works yes, it has same issue with HDMI input from blue ray player as well as the cable input
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: About 4 days ago, we went out of town day after, I was watching a blue ray dvd when it 1st happened.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry you're having trouble with this TV, I need bit more info to troubleshoot the problem.

- Can you please connect a video source in AV input (RCA jacks at rear of TV) as a test to see if TV gives same picture problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have a VHS player installed, we still watch them. Let me see if that does the same thing.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just played a minute of a movie through the VHS and same thing, purple/green faces.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

Sorry to hear that, does the picture problem fix itself after some time?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, it goes in and out, gets a little better, then goes back.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

OK, there are few possible things that can be cause of these symptoms, either t-con board is bad or LVDS cable connecting t-con board to main board is misaligned or defective or the main board has got internal failure and generating purple and green color effect on picture while processing video signal. You can expect around $200 to $350 repair cost (parts + labor) from local TV repair shop. You may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely hardware failure that needs defective board replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your time and help.
Expert:  Shahid replied 2 months ago.

You're welcome, I wish I had better news about this problem. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.