Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Pioneer pdp42a3 tunring off and on always gets to dvd and

Customer Question

pioneer pdp42a3 tunring off and on always gets to dvd and never moves ... screen is black
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: pioneer pdp42a3 14 years opld
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yup
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: turned off andf on randomly
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

So the tv menu does work, but you aren't able to see a dvd movie or even the dvd players menu screens?
Do you have anything else connected here (cable/satellite, roku, etc) and if so are those operating properly?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have a black screen. The only thing connected is the cable box. It turns off and on repeatedly in its startup sequence in never gets past the dvd lite. It starts up black and does not go to TV or Component 1 which is normal sequence. It starts up and immediately shuts down. TV is about 14 years old. It occasionally turned off by itself over the past few years; the manual says this is expected behavior when the plasma screen heats up too much. Now it does not start up at all.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you ever see any specific flashing pattern to the little light on the front of the tv?