Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.
329447

I have a Philips HDTV flat screen 23PF5320/28. I believe I

Customer Question

I have a Philips HDTV flat screen 23PF5320/28. I believe I need a stronger wireless router to retrieve programming through my Roku Express 3 service. I am have been researching router and am wondering if a netgear R6400 wireless router is compatible.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Philips is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2005 -2006 and it is called flat HDTV 23PF5320/28
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The Roku menu works but when it retrieves programming there are delays in loading and abrupt breaks in programming. My Macbook can also load slowly. I think it is because I have a older router Netgear wPN824 v3 - which is about 8 years old.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I have just moved and set up my roku so since the beginning.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I never had rook before. I never had roku before
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Hi. I'm Steve and I will be assisting you today. I've been here since 2005.

*** Please note that I cannot take a call right now*** - the site is sending you those prompts, not me. If you need phone support, I can opt out and another expert will help you.

Ok, let's see what we can do here.

You can do a speedtest. On one of your wireless devices (phone or laptop or Kindle or iPad) gor www.speedtest.net and perform a test.

Let me know the download speed.

I'll be here.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The domain is blocked due to a phishing threat. The question I first want to ask you is - do I need to replace my netgear router. It is probably 10 years old? The second question I need to ask you is what is the Netgear R6400 compatible with an older TV monitor (Philips Flat HD - which was purchased in 2005.) I am trying to receive Roku through this TV monitor and it keeps getting interrupted so I am thinking I need to replace the router and want to make sure I know what to get to achieve my goal.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Your TV has nothing to do with the router unless you are connecting the TV to it, which you are not. You are connecting the Roku to the router.

Your router does Wireless G which is all you need. The 6400 will do "N" but that's irellevant if you don't have the speed coming into the house in the first place.

Speedtest is not a phishing site - it sounds like your browser maybe overly aggressive with blocking sites. I just ran a test and do daily from that site.

Anyway, HERE is another. Try that one.

Without knowing what you have coming in, I can't completely answer your question.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My download speed is 12.95
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

That's not exceptional and you will likely get buffering if anyo ther device is also on your network. What kind of plan do you have from your internet company? What are you SUPPOSED to be getting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that's 12.92 mbps and upload speed of 2.87 mbps
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am suppose to be getting 20 mbps I believe. That's why I think I need a stronger router.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Well, try this. PLug your laptop directly into the router and do a speedtest while wired.

See what it is. Even the slowest router is easily going to pass 20mbps.

Where is the router in the house? How far from the Roku?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I can not pull my laptop directly into the netgear router because I do not have the right cables to do that. I am sure the speed that I did earlier is correct. The router is approximately 5 feet from the TV monitor and the Roku Express is not connected directly to my router either. I think I am going to start with a new wireless router as I have old technology. I tested that speed on my laptop so that indicates to me that - even though the wireless router has nothing to do with the TV monitor - I need a stronger signal for my computer, right? and possibly my Roku and as long as an netgear R6400 is not compatible with my Macbook and newly purchased Roku, which is the question I am asking you - then I need to know what kind of a router will be best for me.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

I don't want to discourage you from getting a new router. All I am saying is that ANY router will pass 20mbps - even an old one like yours. I am more concerned that you aren't getting 20mbps in the first place - i.e. from your internet provider. And if that is the case, a new router isn't going to help, especially when your current one is only 5 feet from the Roku.

The Netgear 6400 is a great router but I can't say if it will help at all because I don't know what you really have coming in.

Incidentally, some older Roku models have an ethernet jack so you can hard wire it to your router. Does yours?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My Roku does not have a ethernet jack. I just brought the Roku Express so it is less than three months old. Thank you for your help but I feel I am just going around in circles with this and so I will have to pursue it another way.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 4 months ago.

Ok, I want to make sure you are satisfied but please understand that from the information provided to me, I can't tell you with any reasonable certainty that your current router is slowing you down. I don't think it is. I run a very fast network with three Netgear routers that are at least 10 years old. BUT, I have 100mbps internet service from my provider.

20mbps is on the low side. And you are only seeing about half of that.

Is the speedtest the same on your laptop as on say...a phone or tablet?