Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I have a TH-42PX4250U (2005) plasma TV. The picture still is

Customer Question

Hello, I have a TH-42PX4250U (2005) plasma TV. The picture still is very good however the speakers have taken on a 'fuzzy' sound. I would like to hook the tv up to a Sonos Playbar TV soundbar. I am unsure if this can be done. Sonos informs me it can be done using an optical connection. Or a HDMI connection. The one HDMI port on the TV is connected to my ATT wireless tv receiver. Can I use a HDMI splitter to achieve connection to the SONOS? Or how do I use "digital coaxial output"? And the "Digital Audio Out" port... is this an option. Please describe what would be the best way to use the Sonos with my tv. In simple terms please as I am somewhat a non nerd. Thanks.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the plasma television's exact make and model?
Customer: TH-42PX50U
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: fuzzy sound. Sounds like the speakers are shot. They once had great sound and was the reason for purchasing the unit.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble, but I'll do my best to help you. Please give me a few moments to review your details here.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

HDMI will not work here, the tv is too old to support that.

However you can keep the existing connections on the tv and simply add an optical connection: http://amzn.to/2j51MxJ

from the tv to the sonos.

This is plugged to the Digital Audio Out port on the back of the tv (just to the left of the antenna connection)

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at http://bit.ly/1QwLxGh and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The TV does have an HDMI port - it is connected to the ATT wireless TV receiver. So are you telling me it is an older type HDMI not current? Your suggestion does sound good and unless you tell me using a HDMI splitter is out of the question, I will use your advice. Thanks you. Claude
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Yes exactly, the tv has hdmi but it does not support the AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL (ARC) function necessary to work with the soundbar, but the optical connection will work fine.

There is nothing to be gained by using a splitter (it wouldn't work in the first place).